24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-12 18:39:18

J_A
Administrator
Website

Linux / Unix

Does anyone use linux regularly? I'm about to plunge into it, so I thought maybe there are more ppl out there to discuss all things linux with

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#2 2007-04-12 20:10:42

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Re: Linux / Unix

I don't use linux, although that's merely out of praciticality right now, although i'd be quite keen to hear how it goes as I promise myself one day i'll take the plunge and have at least one computer running linux.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#3 2007-04-12 20:18:07

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah, that "promise to plunge" is the stage I'm at right now. I tried installing ubuntu today, but it seemed to run into problems with the widescreen on my new laptop. it looks fixable, but there's a new release coming out next week so I'll wait for that, and if that still doesn't work, then I'll try to fix the screen Hz problem. it seems to be a bit trickier on laptops than on desktops, but I bought the laptop for that purpose, among others, so I won't just give up wink. I do want the dual-boot option though. not pure linux.

what helped the motivation is that my group leader works on linux so I should learn to use latex for text editing anyway.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#4 2007-04-12 20:27:59

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Okay cool. I'm thinking that one day once i've finished my studies i'll just get a desktop to trial different versions and setups of linux on, nothing to fancy at first, and see if anything comes from it, I doubt I would spend much money at first on it. Dual boot sounds very cool and the possibility of maybe running windows, mac and linux off one machine, if possible safely one day without serious problems (3 OSs on 1 machine maybe tomuch to ask, alot of my friends do have new intel macs which can dual boot Windows XP or Mac OS 10).

#5 2007-04-12 20:37:58

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

new intel macs which can dual boot Windows XP or Mac OS 10).

yeah that's what my boss did too. he's running XP on a mac and I think he tried installing linux on it, too, if i'm not mistaken it didn't quite work. maybe it did, I dunno. but I'll find out at some point, surely. I think he's not really happy about that particular mac though. me, personally, I'm not much of a mac fan myself. it's just one of those turf war things, i guess wink.

I'll certainly run linux on the desktop i should get in a couple weeks at the uni, but like I said, i'd like it to work on the laptop too, since I made those nice partitions wink. the nice thing about linux is that it's free / open source, so I like that idea. the downside, I guess, the programs that I'm unfamiliar with. lol. but oh well. live and learn smile

tony.jpg

#6 2007-04-12 21:22:32

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Yeah, firefox has shown me just how good open source software can be, if I find a linux build which is at the same quality I shall be quite pleased.

#7 2007-04-13 13:54:13

Nero

Mac OS 10 is pretty much based entirely upon Linux.

When I was using Linux I found that it was a hell of a lot better then windows stablility and accesibility wise, it was also a lot faster and alot more managable. It also stays a hell of a lot more virus free. The only real draw back was that there wasn't as much software for Linux as there was Windows. But it's definetly worth it. I was using Fedora Core 2 at the time, Fedora Core 4 is out now.

Formerly neromaguire

You are just a puppet... You have no heart... and cannot feel any pain... How can there be any meaning in the memory of such a being? What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion. - Sephiroth

...I Could Float Here Forever...

#8 2007-04-13 17:52:26

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah the software problem occured to me, too. we'll see. hopefully in the future (and not too far future!) there will be more and more stuff coming. basically, i think if you can do everything you can on a win or mac it's good enough if the programs are alright. even if you don't have as many options to choose from

tony.jpg

#9 2007-04-14 23:00:55

24nut
Website

i used to use linux, i started using it when i got a cd called linux Knopix and you could have all the fucntionality of linux but you dont have to install, you just put in the cd, that was cool, but im thinking of dual booting a new pc im building with vista and linux and leave my other pc for xp. You should like linux j_a, it is pretty cool to use.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#10 2007-04-15 15:18:31

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah I actually have knoppix somewhere. but since my boss is running ubuntu, I guess I'll have to try that first, should I get it to function, that is.

tony.jpg

#11 2007-04-23 20:26:27

J_A
Administrator
Website

well, I've given up on trying to get it to work on the laptop - for now! but the live CD works on the desktop and so far so good. I like the interface. haven't installed it yet since I need to partition the HDD and reformat so that linux can read the data, but I should be doing that next week.

tony.jpg

#12 2007-05-08 19:58:46

J_A
Administrator
Website

YIPPIE!! I got both ubuntu and kubuntu installed and functioning on my laptop. big_smile. *happy jump" wink. oddly enough, the ubuntu 7.0 release that came out this month, didn't want to recognize my screen, but the ubuntu 6.0 did... I thought the versions would become better and more compatible. on the other hand, it might be that the ubuntu 6 disc was the original, ordered from the website, whereas the 7.0 was an .iso image burned on a windows machine

another thing that seems to be a (probably expected) problem is letting it run on a machine that has windows vista installed already. you're supposed to be able to partition the disc through linux but it just can't recognize the vista partitions for some reason... so for now I just have it on the laptop until I can get our IT geeks to check out the vista desktop comp and see what we can do about it.

but so far, I love what it can do, it gives you control over the system and I have increasingly become frustrated by windows lately and by decisions Microsoft makes for you - by having computers "think" too much - i.e. preformatted, prearranged etc stuff that the system thinks I want and I don't want.

linux seems to be just what I need. so I'm really looking forward to learning to use it.once I do I'll probably never go back to windows - except for powerpoint or some other application that is still - admittedly - better on windows.

tony.jpg

#13 2007-05-08 21:00:07

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Good for you, keep us posted.

I am quite interested on how this develops. Be curious to know some of the main "wow - windows could never do that" things.

#14 2007-05-08 21:08:20

J_A
Administrator
Website

I sure will. smile

you know, I actually pretty much know my way around windows (and slightly less so around mac) so it feels a tad odd to be an absolute beginner in an OS after being an avid computer user for a good 15 years now. but using linux should provide a much deeper understanding of how a computer actually works than the simple point and click methodology that actually shields you from the system and I really wanna get into it now.

tony.jpg

#15 2007-05-08 22:06:01

hardy24
Administrator
Website

More and more i'm seeing the difference between OS's, Windows does stuff for the user without asking and sometimes in a really stupid way. Mac does the same, but it's usually better thought out.

Linux from what I hear, is so configurable it does what it tells you to do.

I think my ideal scenario is be be able to dual boot between Linux and Mac OSX, if I could do that, I don't think i'd ever think about going back to windows.

#16 2007-05-09 08:34:59

J_A
Administrator
Website

actually, I think you can smile.

the new macs now can run windows (those with the IntelPentium processor. so you can dual boot those, and with the right partition install linux on top of it. it's definitely something I'd consider doing. of course, you'd have to have a large enough hdd and ram but that should be no problem these days. although - my boss here had bought one of those intel macs and is not really happy with it. he installed linux on it and said it runs a bit weird. not sure what exactly he meant but mac is not my cup of tea anyway, so i didn't ask

tony.jpg

#17 2007-06-08 21:36:52

J_A
Administrator
Website

so my uni organized a LINUX day today and I spent 4, almost 5 hours of my time today listening to a guy talking about the basics of ubuntu etc. most of the stuff I'd already known so it wasn't quite as beneficial as it could have been. heard of a few useful sites and programs so I guess it was worth *something*.

but anyway, one thing the guy said and I wanted to share was that most if not all of hollywood-made animated cartoons are made on linux! that was somewhat surprising to me, knowing how opposed the computer industry is to linux taking possession of more and more computers on this planet wink. it's only 3% of all users so far but it's amazing how much is already out there, what an overwhelming number of programs and packages... anyway, it also kinda made clear the benefits of opensource software - obviously they're large enough for the big, money-laden movie studios to choose the cheap alternative that works smile

one other thing I learned and that I rather would not have learned was that the basis for linux is mac...  the core code of it, that is. so as he went on, indeed ubuntu started to more and more look like mac to me. come to think of it, I believe I did notice the similar look when I first used it but suppressing that fact wink

tony.jpg

#18 2007-06-08 22:10:11

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Yeah, the thing with Linux is that it's just basically a core to build on, so for any company big enough to have decent engineers it makes sense for them to make a custom build of linux specifically for there needs. Google is another one, they have a custom build which runs on all their servers.

The thing about mac osx being the core of linux isnt quite true, the whole truth is that they both make use of the unix codebase, but then they split off in slightly different directions from there.

#19 2007-06-08 22:36:02

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah you put it more expertly than me. or rather, you knew more what you're talking about wink

tony.jpg

#20 2007-06-08 22:39:19

hardy24
Administrator
Website

put more accurately, my brain soaks up such factoids like a sponge and has instant recall of them should the need arise.

#21 2007-06-09 11:12:27

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

put more accurately, my brain soaks up such factoids like a sponge and has instant recall of them should the need arise.

LOL. Good to know big_smile
*squeeeeeze* wink

tony.jpg

#22 2008-05-06 06:44:08

24nut
Website

just did this myself and thought it may be usefull for you in the future j_a,

I installed the new Ubuntu (8.04) and i installed it from Windows XP.

1. I downloaded the ISO here: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

2. I then downloaded this file, wubi, this is a small file that you open and use it to install ubuntu from windows. http://wubi-installer.org/

The benefits of doing this is that you dont have to partition the hard disk, it doesn't affect your windows installation at all and to un-install all you have to do is go to add/remove programs from windows. As all of your files are allocated in a folder on your hard disk (C:/Ubuntu, for example) and this can be whatever size you like, just specify when you start the wubi installer.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#23 2008-05-06 15:15:36

J_A
Administrator
Website

oh i should have known this before! LOL. now i have a partitioned hard drive on my laptop and that means some 40+ GB of space eaten away by linux that i never ever use at home anymore sad

I actually need help here with repartitioning the thing without losing anything from the win partition. i'd like to go back to a non-linux status... any ideas?

tony.jpg

#24 2008-05-06 17:24:19

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

i'd like to go back to a non-linux status... any ideas?

A mac.

#25 2008-05-06 20:24:57

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:
jack_addict wrote:

i'd like to go back to a non-linux status... any ideas?

A mac.

lol. not gonna happen.

i was thinking more along the lines of a good partitioning program and a clear protocol that - in combination - would guarantee to 99% that by deleting the linux partition the windows one wouldn't get hurt. i'd hate to have to reinstall everything from scratch, not to mention i wouldn't have the time OR nerve for that.

tony.jpg

Board footer