international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#51 2008-08-30 10:23:08

J_A
Administrator
Website

Re: Linux / Unix

hardy24 wrote:

The one I like the most of those two I'll try installing tomorrow.

good luck, let me know how it works!

I used to use Kubuntu more than Ubuntu, but Ubuntu has more cool things tbh, like skins and effects, if you're into that.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#52 2008-08-30 18:52:32

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Okay, so Fedora I really didn't like and my OpenSUSE live CD didn't seem to work. Maybe i'll give Ubuntu another go.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#53 2008-08-30 22:23:30

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Update: I got the OpenSUSE live CD working after burning another copy, I liked the interface and so I decided to install, only it ignored my instructions to install in a 40GB partition on a External HD and instead decided to try installing over the Windows Partition on my internal drive, which broke my Windows XP partition, Thank fully my Main Mac OS X partition was left untouched but it has made quite a mess of the windows install.

Will try to unpick it all tomorrow.

#54 2008-08-31 19:29:15

J_A
Administrator
Website

oh damn.

see, that's the reason I'm still reluctant to try to remove the linux partition from my comp. afraid it'll screw up the windows parts...

good luck with your further endevours. keep the diary big_smile

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#55 2008-08-31 20:43:39

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

oh damn.

see, that's the reason I'm still reluctant to try to remove the linux partition from my comp. afraid it'll screw up the windows parts...

Untangling my internal disk took a little planning, but it was actually quite easy. Backup my files from the Mac partition using Time Machine (apple software), then formatted the drive, fresh install of Mac OS, then restored files from Backup. Then I reinstalled Bootcamp & Windows XP. Which got me back where I started.

Then I booted from the OpenSUSE Cd, installed, saw the glaringly obvious mistake I made during the first attempt (told it to overwrite the windows partition), and this time it installed great on the external partition.

Lastly, installed a Graphical Bootloader called rEFIT which gives me a nice interface when I boot up the machine to tell it which Operating System I want.

So Success!!, I do have further challenges, such as compiling drivers for Linux to use my usb Wireless adaptor. Compiling software from source code is quite a scary and foreign concept for me, but I won't have any internet on the Linux Boot until I figure it out. But really this is why I'm doing this Linux experiment, to push me outside my comfort zone with computers to learn more.

Anyway, quite proud of myself, I've got a triple boot Mac Min!!!, i might post some photos later of it working. If that interests anyone.

Board footer