24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-07 10:22:23

J_A
Administrator
Website

live earth

anyone spending their time watching this? ...

all channels on msn - simultaneously if you use internet explorer.

frankly, i'm only waiting for bon jovi but i think they'll be up in the middle of the night my local time so i'm not really sure if i'll actually watch them. just likely dl the performance off youtube later.

what do you guys think of the whole concept? a simple Al Gore promo tour or something that actually really makes sense? we've seen LiveAid, then Live8 and now LiveEarth. does anything change after these concerts?

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#2 2007-07-07 13:10:58

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Re: live earth

The odd thing about Live Earth is that it really hasn't gotten all that much coverage, or atleast it's past me by, i've only been vaguely aware of it for the past week or so, and even then its been easy for me to go, :shrug:

I'm not sure how much LiveAid actually helped, although I do know it did raise a lot of money in comparison to some campaigns.

Live8, well its a but of an uphill struggle to convince politicians of certain things with one grand gesture, and over here it got awfully sandwiched between other big things, London winning the 2012 olympics and then the 7/7 Terrorist bombings.

I think Al Gores motives are farely sincere, though i'm not sure a world wide concert is the right tool for this job. I don't think turning environmentalism into the latest fashionable cause actually the best thing for the cause, i'm quite keen to do whatever i can for the environment, but being talked down too by a celebrity who has three cars isn't probably gonna put me off. I really hate bandwagons

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#3 2007-07-07 14:47:08

J_A
Administrator
Website

well, i suppose in today's world, there's really too much going on to become aware of everything, even if it's such a big concert as liveearth. you just can't keep track of everything, so you're excused wink

now as for the event itself, it does seem like it's very fashionable these days to (ab)use music to get a message across. in itself I don't think that's a bad idea to use your celebrity status to do some good. but just talking about it - or singing about it - won't do. like you said, it begins in your own backyard - or should. so even if al gore is credible, hardly all these musicians are. some of them are probably doing something for the environment (a recent example is a jon bon jovi interview where he said he actually drives a hybrid toyota car). but I'm sure that to many bands out there it's just a huge possibility to have their music taken to 2 billion homes all across the globe.

of course, the actual aim is to raise awareness and this might actually even achieve that aim.but how much this will really change things is another question. it's certainly a good intention, with all these little films about how much an individual can actually do, it is to be hoped that some ppl (and I actually should include myself in that) will start doing more to save energy and what natural resources we have. to me, the actual concert is mostly a musical event, though, as I'm waiting to see metallica and bon jovi. just watched genesis who were brilliant after all these years.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#4 2007-07-08 18:58:05

smitten

jack_addict wrote:

of course, the actual aim is to raise awareness and this might actually even achieve that aim.but how much this will really change things is another question. .

I think if it's even got us talking about energy use on a forum like this (let's face it - 24 hasn't exactly got a good track record when it comes to the carbon-emitting sponsors) then it has to be a good thing.

Idea for a spoof - a carbon-neutral hour in the life of Jack Bauer. Could be inspired by the Alex Rider film (I forget it's name) about the spy kid who saves the world on a skateboard, a bike, and his girlfriend's horse.

#5 2007-07-08 19:53:38

J_A
Administrator
Website

lol. not bad, not bad. carbon neutral 24. no guns, tno explosions, no fires, no SUVs, no computers, no energy wasting equipment, no satellite coverage and computers, that is. what we're left with is plain old fist fights and chasing criminals on foot. hey, now that's what back to the roots would mean big_smile

tony.jpg

#6 2007-07-09 12:45:16

smitten

I remember now, it was called Stormbreaker.

An episode of Jack fist-fights? Could be good, could be very good. smile

#7 2007-07-09 20:53:41

J_A
Administrator
Website

smitten wrote:

An episode of Jack fist-fights? Could be good, could be very good. smile

for us maybe, but I'm not so sure about Kiefer's fists wink roll lol

tony.jpg

#8 2007-07-09 23:55:36

Steveb

I'd love to know what the Carbon footprint of Live Earth was. As for the Carbon neutral 24, I think it's a great idea. Terrorists who don't want to recycle, being taught a lesson by Jack Bauer. A bit like a more adult version of Captain Planet.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#9 2007-07-10 15:12:57

J_A
Administrator
Website

lol steve big_smile. another great idea from Captain Humour wink big_smile

as for live earth - they said at the venue in london that the event was carbon neutral. everything that was used, all materials etc were made from recycled sources and would be brought back into recycling. and as for energy used, it's also supposed to have been neutral. in any case, all the stages seemed much darker than in a usual concert. lol

tony.jpg

#10 2007-07-10 18:20:26

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Forget about fighting terrorists in a carbon neutral 24, Jack could head up the ETU (Eco-Terrorist Unit)!

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#11 2007-07-10 18:57:47

24nut
Website

I watched it, highlights for me were genesis, metallica and foo fighters.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#12 2007-07-10 19:02:50

J_A
Administrator
Website

metallica, genesis, and bon jovi, I'd say big_smile

tony.jpg

#13 2007-07-10 20:15:45

24nut
Website

what country did bon jovi play? I only really saw the UK lineup.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#14 2007-07-10 22:17:55

J_A
Administrator
Website

oh you've missed a lot of good stuff then! go to msn (in IE) - you can still watch everything I think. on demand. otherwise, there's stuff on youtube - ever since sunday.

BJ played at the Giants Stadium in New York - which is their home turf. they played 5 songs:

Lost highway,
It's my life,
Wanted dead or alive ("Please rise for the playing of our national anthem" cool),
Who says you can't go home and
Livin on a Prayer.

I stayed up until 5 a.m. (they played around 3 but then I got hung up there waiting for The Police etc) and was half dead yesterday as a consequence.. but I just wanted to see it "live" on computer instead of seeing the footage later on sunday. I was watching it on msn and there you could monitor all 9 channels at the same time and switch to each venue by choice - not having to wait for the TV director / editor to tell you what you can watch when.

tony.jpg

#15 2007-07-11 06:47:51

24nut
Website

lol, sounds good, ill have to watch that. big_smile

#16 2007-07-11 13:20:40

smitten

hardy24 wrote:

Forget about fighting terrorists in a carbon neutral 24, Jack could head up the ETU (Eco-Terrorist Unit)!

Sure. He'd show them how to pack the fuses for maximum fuel-efficiency, or how to make a bomb from organically grown chapatti flour that actually goes off.

Board footer