24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-18 22:50:51

emma143
Website

Would You continue to watch 24 if....

...THEY KILLED JACK?

I mean says who he is immortal...if they killed him and replace him how would that make you feel?

Emz
x
εїз

4B, 6A, 1A* and the geek rules supreme (but still cant spell)

#2 2007-07-19 09:57:14

J_A
Administrator
Website

Re: Would You continue to watch 24 if....

they killed Almeida and I never forgave them for that. they are *supposed* to kill jack. i *want* them to kill jack. jack *has* to die.

it's a discussion we had often on many boards, but it's true. jack has to die. my opinion that i will not budge from.

i dunno if i would continue to watch. i might look into it just to see what happens, but it's the same thing as with the x files without fox mulder. probably won't work. quite likely though, if they cast someone we are made to care for, it might

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#3 2007-07-19 11:59:16

24nut
Website

If they killed him in a way that worked at the end then i'd be fine with it, but if they tried to continue it without Jack then i wouldn't watch it.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#4 2007-07-19 14:29:49

hardy24
Administrator
Website

For me that's not really a question I can answer until/if it happens. Its a very difficult needle to thread but if they did it right and it felt natural then sure, and i actually feel as if there could be a lot more drama which came out of it, and rather ironically I could see a scenario in which Jack becomes the thing holding the show back and killing him would be the right thing to do. But because of recent occurences in series six, i think we're atleast a year away from them seriously considering it.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#5 2007-07-19 15:35:20

emma143
Website

:s ive not seen 6 yet (or the end of 5....my dvd player decided to destroy one of the disks sad )

I mean....there are characters we care about in it now....like Kim and Chase (could they be brought back somehow and made into the new Teri and Jack?....can you tell im in the middle of a S3 rewatch?)

Emz
x
εїз

#6 2007-07-19 15:48:58

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Reportedly the actor who played Chase really annoyed the producers, and so the chances of him coming back are nil.

#7 2007-07-19 15:58:20

smitten

emma143 wrote:

I mean....there are characters we care about in it now....like Kim and Chase (could they be brought back somehow and made into the new Teri and Jack?....can you tell im in the middle of a S3 rewatch?)

Much as I would love to see Chase back, I don't think he's the right man for the job. The problem is so much of 24 *is* Jack, that for it to continue without him would involve replacing him with someone who is similar enough to carry the show, yet different enough to be his own man. That would be tough, and I don't think the writers have got it in them. That's not to say they won't try.

Listen to the music. Jack's theme *is* the 24 theme.

I want 24 to go on for as long as possible, coz I love it. It's that simple. Perhaps if they remove CTU and come up with a different kind of threat (as promised), it will get a new lease of life. But if it gets too predictable, well, I think Kiefer will put his foot down for the sake of the show.

#8 2007-07-19 17:28:23

J_A
Administrator
Website

*must hold herself back*.. everytime I hear the statement that "24 is Jack" I want to scream. yes, they made it into that but I will never agree it was the right path of action to go. *now stop*

as for chase, he's too much of jack's alter ego that he won't be coming back. otherwise they might as well clone Bauer and put him in there again when Jack #1 dies.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#9 2007-07-20 11:16:41

smitten

jack_addict wrote:

*must hold herself back*.. everytime I hear the statement that "24 is Jack" I want to scream. .

OK. smile I'll bear that in mind.

#10 2007-07-20 14:09:58

J_A
Administrator
Website

smitten wrote:
jack_addict wrote:

*must hold herself back*.. everytime I hear the statement that "24 is Jack" I want to scream. .

OK. smile I'll bear that in mind.

ok. I can't hold myself back completely, the pandora's box is open. but I won't ramble on forever. i'll just say that it is the sad truth. they made it into jack's show by effectively focusing everything just around him as time progressed. sure, you could say a story about everybody is a story about nobody and you need someone to anchor the show to. i have no problem with that. but I do think certain pretty bad seasons showed that jack alone cannot carry the show. kiefer is without doubt a superb actor, but put one great actor there with a mediocre storyline and you get season 6. besides, saying 24 is jack is just disrespectful to other great characters, in my mind at least. *rant over* wink

tony.jpg

#11 2007-07-20 15:04:42

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I think really the "jack is 24" line comes from not neccesarily a narrowing of focus, but simply an symptom that really Jacks story has been the most consistent. We've seen it all. Whereas other peoples stories have jumped around a bit, and between seasons there would be a lot of development to the next stage of there stories ...., if you know what I mean.

Dare I say it, but Jack is the one element of the show they haven't been able to successfully recreate, other characters have come and gone and it's not been the complete death of the show (it's faltered perhaps), the best example of this is Logan and Martha. After Sherry and Palmer had gone they needed a new pairing in the political side, and they did so quite successfully with Logan and Martha.

If there on there game the writers (and casting) can replace just about any character, but it's not been proven to work with Jack. So people think he is the one static, must have element of the show.

#12 2007-07-24 16:53:51

smitten

jack_addict wrote:

they made it into jack's show by effectively focusing everything just around him as time progressed.

I'll happily admit my perspective may come from the fact that I was first introduced to 24 by season 5, then 4. Going back to season 1, it could have developed differently. I've always taken the focus on Jack as a given.

What do you think, Emma, as you asked the question?

#13 2007-07-26 15:02:35

emma143
Website

Im sure i read a comment somwhere that the viewers are becoming more naive and we are starting to think 'Jack won't die'. I would be heartbrken if he did. I think as Jack has matured so has keifers acting and i dare say i would miss him. but Jack_addict is right...its not all about Jack there are people devoted to other characters (i think Kim Rocks and in S3 she is one of my fave characters)

(sorry i have not been able to get on i have been full time at work and doing REALLY strange shifts)

Emz
x
εїз

#14 2008-02-16 22:12:04

Past Present Fortune

24nut wrote:

If they killed him in a way that worked at the end then i'd be fine with it, but if they tried to continue it without Jack then i wouldn't watch it.

You just wrote exactly what I was about to write... BRAVO!!!

#15 2008-02-16 22:13:07

Past Present Fortune

jack_addict wrote:

they killed Almeida and I never forgave them for that. they are *supposed* to kill jack. i *want* them to kill jack. jack *has* to die.

it's a discussion we had often on many boards, but it's true. jack has to die. my opinion that i will not budge from.

i dunno if i would continue to watch. i might look into it just to see what happens, but it's the same thing as with the x files without fox mulder. probably won't work. quite likely though, if they cast someone we are made to care for, it might

NO!!! WHY DO YOU WANT JACK TO DO!!!???

Board footer