24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-15 21:26:03

24nut
Website

Episode 16

I just finished watching episode 16 on sky one, i thought it was a very good episode, i liked the parts at the pier and i loved the action parts where Jack said "show your head" to the terrorists, i also liked how Gridenko gave up fayed and the way his death was shot was very good, and after watching the trailer for episode 17 (and 18, i had to peek) i feel that this season is eally heating up.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#2 2007-04-15 21:33:33

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Re: Episode 16

Yes it was a very good episode, though quite different. I was surprised though pleased that they managed to do something different with the 25th hearings this time round.

quick notes : read episode guide and rate episode: next episode trailer

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#3 2007-04-15 21:34:42

24nut
Website

hardy24 wrote:

Yes it was a very good episode, though quite different. I was surprised though pleased that they managed to do something different with the 25th hearings this time round.

quick notes : read episode guide and rate episode: next episode trailer

yeah i was scared that we would get a rehash of the season 2 situation.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#4 2007-04-16 14:32:21

smitten

What do other people think about Mike Doyle? We've seen a bit more character now when he got Milo out of a tight spot, and we know he's read the Upanishads.

#5 2007-04-16 14:50:21

hardy24
Administrator
Website

That line of his, "you've found your answers, i'm still looking for mine", I think that was the moment I actually felt a real connection to him and that I actually liked him.

#6 2007-04-17 11:07:07

smitten

hardy24 wrote:

That line of his, "you've found your answers, i'm still looking for mine", I think that was the moment I actually felt a real connection to him and that I actually liked him.

I ask because Mike's been introduced as someone not very likeable, and this really was the first time he did anything that might make us warm to him. But then if you look back, Tony's quite a sour-puss at the beginning of season 1, and look what happens to him.

I know Kiefer says in interviews that the show can go on for ever, but his character can't, and I'm not sure whether I really believe that. But if it were to continue without Jack, then there would need to be a Jack-substitute (made of tofu, no doubt). Tony's gone, Curtis has gone, so who can it be?

#7 2007-04-17 11:21:57

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Well I know who I think would take over (atleast of the current choices) and I think many know who i'm talking about....

[spoiler]Doyle[/spoiler]
Though i'm not sure the writers are sure of it yet, almost as if they've been field testing different characters over the years to see if any of them could take over for Jack. I honestly believe the writers for a second even thought in the back of there heads that if all went well Chase (from season 3) could take over one day, but the fans did not react to him as well as they hoped.

#8 2007-04-18 12:46:44

smitten

I liked Chase a lot, and wouldn't mind seeing him come back. As for taking over from Jack, I'm not sure he would still have the manual dexterity needed for the job wink

You're probably right about field testing them. I hadn't thought about that. Why didn't people like Chase?

#9 2007-04-18 15:19:52

hardy24
Administrator
Website

You see i'm not entirely sure why some people didn't like chase, I just know that some people didn't, certainly enough to put to bed any chances of all of him taking over.

I think the common complaint was that he seemed a bit whiny (sp?), or maybe they were just jealous that he'd got kim.

#10 2007-04-18 15:58:43

24nut
Website

i really liked Chase, he was really close to jack... and his daughter, lol. but he was cool, he was the one that knew about jack's habit and hewanted to help, its a shame that he left, he was very action oriantated, just like jack. I would like him to come back some time, and 24 without Jack, is not 24 for me.

#11 2007-04-18 17:13:24

smitten

24nut wrote:

i really liked Chase, he was really close to jack... and his daughter, lol. but he was cool, he was the one that knew about jack's habit and hewanted to help, its a shame that he left, he was very action oriantated, just like jack. I would like him to come back some time, and 24 without Jack, is not 24 for me.

I liked Chase a lot - very physical, very much his own man, also very loyal to Jack. I liked the dynamic between him and Jack, especially when Jack tells him to shut up!

It's hard for the number 2 field agent, whoever that is, to shine, because he's always the springboard for Jack to look heroic. Like 24nut, I find it hard to imagine 24 without Jack.

#12 2007-04-18 18:00:46

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I guess i'm the only one who could imagine 24 without jack. The replacement would have to be perfectly cast and perfectly written, as would the "hand off".

For my part, I imagine it perhaps happening towards the end of a series, with 4 episodes or so left, with Jack taken out the picture temporarily with the possibility of coming back so a) people kept watching to see if Jack came back so that it gives the new guy a chance to impress the audience before they switch off in disgust b) so that they could bring him back if it didn't work out.

#13 2007-04-19 08:41:58

smitten

hardy24 wrote:

I guess i'm the only one who could imagine 24 without jack. The replacement would have to be perfectly cast and perfectly written, as would the "hand off".

Hmm, been thinking about this one. Is there not also a limit to the number of story lines they can come up with involving terrorism? We've already had a nuke in the desert, a nuke in Valencia. There should be some fallout from this. And why do half of these terrorists ply their trade within a 5-min radius of the CTU office in LA?

There is another possibility. That is that everyone involved in producing this, including Kiefer, know that the show must end sometime, and that it can't continue without Jack. However, they can't say this publically because they know we're speculating, and if we don't hear plans for the 'next' series, we'll know what happens at the end of 'this' series. And that would ruin our enjoyment of the programme, and they don't want that. Also, because of the job insecurity for the other cast members, Kiefer has to at least pretend to be as expendable as anyone else.

Don't get me wrong, I want Jack to keep saving the world forever.

#14 2007-04-19 08:51:46

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Not quite sure what you mean, but the show has defintely been renewed for atleast one more year.

#15 2007-04-19 15:28:10

smitten

hardy24 wrote:

Not quite sure what you mean, but the show has defintely been renewed for atleast one more year.

Sorry, I'm being obscure. What I mean is that, whatever we hear about at least one more season, I wouldn't put it past them to bump it off unexpectedly. Or, that might already be the plan, and then they put out 'false intel'.

Anyway, back to episode 16, I'm looking forward to Jack having a round with Fayed on Sunday night. I knew I'd seen Fayed before but couldn't place him. It's the same actor in some deleted scenes in season 4, when Jack and Paul are holed up in the gun shop with the Arab brothers. Their father has a gunshot wound, and the whole thing was cut, but they've obviously asked him back.

#16 2007-04-19 15:36:40

hardy24
Administrator
Website

smitten wrote:
hardy24 wrote:

Sorry, I'm being obscure. What I mean is that, whatever we hear about at least one more season, I wouldn't put it past them to bump it off unexpectedly. Or, that might already be the plan, and then they put out 'false intel'.

Hmm, possibly, I doubt thats what there doing this year though.

smitten wrote:

I knew I'd seen Fayed before but couldn't place him. It's the same actor in some deleted scenes in season 4, when Jack and Paul are holed up in the gun shop with the Arab brothers. Their father has a gunshot wound, and the whole thing was cut, but they've obviously asked him back.

Really? Man I really want to check that out but I don't have my s4 dvd with me.

#17 2007-04-22 16:30:25

J_A
Administrator
Website

well, I'll put my 2 cents in, then, as well. I agree the ep was good, and the way radenko's death was handled was so anticlimatic that it was great in its unspectacularity wink. did he sell out fayed because he thought fayed would sell him out otherwise, I don't know, but I believe he did a good thing.

doyle was definitely another example of manipulation of the audience. bring him in, make ppl hate him, then make him do something nice so people start warming up to his character. eventually, kill him off - or give him a permanent spot. we've seen developments like this in several, well, many, characters before this. I don't think he has as much character as jack does, but then again, I doubt anyone can live up to the standard kiefer sets, i.e. with the same intensity etc. we'll see. anyway, during the whole chip story I was thinking, "well, doyle, show if you have as much integrity as jack does". apparently, he has some integrity, we'll see how much wink. also, it'll be interesting to see how long he "lasts" because we all know what happened to all those other field agents who had their brief encounters with the CTU world and then fell victims to too little to do and too much employment of jack wink

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

Board footer