24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-10 07:58:14

J_A
Administrator
Website

kiefer sutherland faces 48 days in jail

kiefer's latest DUI is going to cost him...

according to a german website, and the news posted last night at 4.52 a.m., kiefer is getting 48 days in jail, 18 months alcohol education and 6 months therapy. the sentence will be officially given on december 21st, and whatever jail time he actually has to face will not (according to FOX) interfere with the filming schedule for 24. he had pleaded guilty earlier which spared him a trial and a possible conviction to 18 months in jail.

kiefer is "very disappointed" in himself and "sorry" to have disappointed his family and the people at FOX.

personally, after the latest paris hilton case, I'm kinda expecting him to actually see the prison from the inside... not that jack bauer hadn't seen prison bars yet, but maybe seeing it as kiefer might do him some good... i dunno.

any thoughts?

oh, and I almost forgot: source:
http://de.news.yahoo.com/ap/20071010/te … 332_1.html

edit
oh, here we go. found the original source.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071009/ap_ … therland_7

the facts differ but make more sense now. this article says he gets 30 days in  jail for testing above the legal limit for alcohol, and the sentence awaited on dec 21st is related to his violation of probation, for which he could still get up to 6 months jailtime... kiefer, hope you learn from this...

edit2
been thinking about this... for now, fox is supporting him, and trying to cut a deal with the court in the sense of the date kiefer has to go to jail, and the sentence for the violation of probation is coinciding with the winter break for filming, but, if kiefer keeps this up, at some point, fox will get fed up with this...

could they fire him?

frankly, i think they should put carlos in the main spot and let kiefer rot in jail wink.lol. ok ok ok , i know those are just hopes and dreams of a hopeless tony fan big_smile

to quote tony, then, I suppose the outcome of this "depends on how big of an example they want to make of [kiefer]" but as for putting him in jail, "Yes, they can, and they will", imo. we've seen it done before. and kiefer is not above the law

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#2 2007-10-11 08:13:14

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Re: kiefer sutherland faces 48 days in jail

From what I had read, it was 30 days for the DUI and another 18 days for breaking the conditions of probation for an earlier charge.

No thoughts really, except wouldn't it be really funny if they made light of this in the new season, ribbing Kiefer for his charges, and making him blush as extra punishment?, oh, I don't do, two hours in the middle of the day where "Jack" crosses the line, and some senior figure throws him in a cell for a few hours to cool off while he don't see anyting of him and "another" character takes the lead in thoose episodes. ... And it could happen if his time does interfere with shooting and they need a cover storyline.

edit 1: , oh, forgot my funny quote, Kiefer in an interview on the s3 DVD whilst inside the prison they used during the first 6 episodes.

Interviewer: Did you do any prep for filming inside a prison?
Kiefer: Not intentionally.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#3 2007-10-11 14:12:03

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah I read yet another article with yet other information, saying just wat you mentioned

I'd still like to see tony take the lead big_smile big_smile big_smile
but yeah putting jack in jail for a little while to cool off would be cool. maybe they could actually film inside whatever prison kiefer's in and get a little authenticity in there lol

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#4 2007-10-11 15:01:25

24nut
Website

supposedly Kiefer has pleaded no contest and asked to serve his time over christmas and after 24 stops filming.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#5 2007-10-11 17:05:56

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

I'd still like to see tony take the lead big_smile big_smile big_smile
but yeah putting jack in jail for a little while to cool off would be cool. maybe they could actually film inside whatever prison kiefer's in and get a little authenticity in there lol

Maybe every half an hour we'd see kiefer in a box looking grumpy in a cell as the clock ticks??

Or maybe there is another way to rub it in, say have Jack at a fancy washington function, having to turn down alcholic beverages?

#6 2007-10-11 17:41:09

J_A
Administrator
Website

LOL dan, yeah as part of his alcohol-education lol

24nut, yes, that's the last thing I heard there. it's funny how one piece of news generates many different kinds of articles. almost the same but not the same... he's supposedly going to actually go to jail on dec 21st - incidentally, isn't that his birthday?... poor guy.

tony.jpg

#7 2007-10-11 20:11:16

hardy24
Administrator
Website

imagine being in jail for not only your birthday, but also christmas? ouch.

I saw another funny story about this, it's probably not true, but apparently Paris Hilton plans to visit Kiefer while he's in there, believing sharing here experiences as a "celeb inmate" will help him through it, and that she hopes it may even spawn a reality tv show about celebrities in prison.

Anyone care to imagine the look on Kiefer's face when he's told he got a visitor and he thinks it's going to be his daughter/sister/father/mother... and it's actually Paris Hilton!!,

So, obviously, mostly likely not true, but boy you gotta laugh just at the sheer possibility!

#8 2007-10-11 21:59:35

J_A
Administrator
Website

oh rotfl. please don't. LOL. holy almeida, that is not true lol

but yeah, it is going to be tough on kiefer. depending on how big of an example they wanna make of him (yes, quoting tony wink), and how long they actually keep him in there. I keep remembering jack bauer breaking ramon out of prison... surely this will be different when the prison doors actually close behind kiefer for real.... but i'm sure he will be able to draw from this experience and put it into jack's character - or maybe even talk to carlos about how prison is from the inside wink (although, tony's conditions would have been very much tougher than kiefer's will be, for obvious reasons)

tony.jpg

#9 2007-10-12 19:39:13

24nut
Website

well im fairly certain that Kiefer will be in Jail on his birthday, Christmas and New Years, please oh please dont let that rumour be true, he might get charge for murder if that happens, if Paris Hilton came to see me in jail i'd be tempted to throw her off a cliff. lol

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#10 2007-10-12 22:17:17

J_A
Administrator
Website

24nut wrote:

he might get charge for murder if that happens, if Paris Hilton came to see me in jail i'd be tempted to throw her off a cliff. lol

lol! yeah maybe.
I wonder who would be the one to tell kiefer the infamous sentence,
"with luck, the best you can hope for is 20 years."

sorry, just finished the rewatch of season 3 here big_smile

tony.jpg

#11 2007-10-15 22:27:39

J_A
Administrator
Website

came across another (5d old) article that finally cleared things up for me. looks like kiefer's doing the entire sentence of 48 days in two chunks, 18+30, and this article quotes a FOX executive that kinda made me go awww at kiefer, in the sense of, oh what a nice guy. lol. (yeah I know, if he were a nice guy he wouldn't be DUI-ing in the first place and endangering himself and others. and yes, it makes sense to play nice if you don't wanna get fired wink but oh well, read for yourself).

"24" star Kiefer Sutherland will serve 48 days in jail, but that is not going to affect production on his hit Fox series.

After reaching a deal with prosecutors, Sutherland pleaded no contest Tuesday to a charge of driving with a blood-alcohol level above the legal limit a week ahead of his Oct. 16 arraignment.

The Emmy winner was charged Sept. 28 with two misdemeanor counts of DUI stemming from his Sept. 26 arrest after a traffic stop. Sutherland was on probation from a 2004 DUI conviction.

The Los Angeles City Attorney's Office on Tuesday recommended a 48-day sentence for the actor to be served in two installments -- 18 days for the probation violation beginning Dec. 21 and 30 days for the DUI charge to be completed by July 1.

The schedule allows Sutherland to serve his time when "24" is not in production -- during the Christmas break and after the show wraps its seventh season.

"I'm very disappointed in myself for the poor judgment I exhibited recently, and I'm deeply sorry for the disappointment and distress this has caused my family, friends and co-workers on '24' and at 20th Century Fox," Sutherland said.

Sutherland's plea deal quickly resolves the matter and avoids shutting down production on "24," on which he also serves as an executive producer. Had he gone for a continuous jail time, he likely would have served less time, which is often the case in misdemeanor cases. Instead, he opted for two stints, which means he will serve the entire sentence.

Said Fox and 20th TV, which produces "24" with Imagine TV: "He told us that even if he had to sacrifice more time in custody in order to protect the show and the jobs of those who work with him, he would do so. From what occurred today, it is evident he is a man of his word."

Sutherland's sentencing is set for Dec. 21, the same day he is scheduled to report to jail.

source:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ic81707e04a7d9217d3228c4ff3af8ad9?imw=Y

that mention of "cutting a deal" necessarily reminded me of the numerous times Jack Bauer has offered people on 24 "to cut a deal". lol. looks like Kiefer learned that's his best play in this case big_smile

tony.jpg

#12 2007-10-16 11:53:03

24nut
Website

doesn't this have to be approved by the judge before its certain?, i think this is just what Kiefer has applied for, but it seems very reasonable and Kiefer has held himself accountable, which is good, im sure that this deal will be accepted.

Last edited by 24nut (2007-10-16 11:53:13)

#13 2007-10-16 18:59:51

J_A
Administrator
Website

well i thought the sentencing was supposed to go down on dec 21st but then it's also the day he's scheduled to jail so I'm not sure what to think

tony.jpg

#14 2007-10-16 20:44:50

24nut
Website

wasn't there something about today, that he would be sentanced? Or was that something else, im sure it was like the 16th or 21st of October.

#15 2007-10-16 22:11:31

J_A
Administrator
Website

could be. i dunno. dan?

tony.jpg

#16 2007-10-17 09:28:13

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Umm, not sure, not been paying attention to the story.

#17 2007-12-06 19:28:39

J_A
Administrator
Website

well according to CNN, kiefer is now in jail. glendale city jail. for 48 days that he's to serve in full. and he won't be sharing his cell with anyone. it doesn't state if he'll be in and out of jail until the full sentence is served, i.e. if the strike ends and eps are shot again, but he has to finish serving them until the end of march. hey jailbird rock ;-)

tony.jpg

#18 2007-12-30 19:00:51

J_A
Administrator
Website

ok, old news, maybe, but i thought i'd post it anyway because it clearly says that kiefer will not get an early release, which makes his release scheduled for somewhere in early february.

---

Dec 6, 2007

Kiefer Sutherland will spend his 41st birthday, the Christmas holiday and New Year's in the Glendale City Jail.

The "24" star checked himself into Glendale's three-year-old, state-of-the-art lockup Wednesday evening to serve 48 days on a second misdemeanor drunken driving offense.

Sutherland was arrested in Los Angeles in the early morning of Sept. 25 and charged two days later with two misdemeanor counts of DUI. He was already on probation for a 2004 DUI conviction.

The Emmy winner pleaded no contest in October to driving with a blood-alcohol level above the .08 legal limit and violating probation.

Sutherland and city prosecutors had agreed that he would serve a split jail sentence – 18 days for violating his probation beginning Dec. 21 and 30 days for the DUI charge to be completed by July 1.

But those plans apparently changed, since production on Sutherland's Fox series, "24," was shut down Dec. 3 due to the writers' strike.

According to Glendale Police Sgt. Tom Lorenz, Sutherland is no longer serving his sentence in installments and "must do 48 consecutive days."

Though Sutherland's arrest was in the city of Los Angeles, he was able to choose the Glendale jail as an alternative to the overcrowded and often violent Los Angeles County Twin Towers jail downtown, where deputies would be unable to guarantee his safety.

However, Sutherland is not a regular "pay-to-stay" inmate in Glendale, which charges $85 a day for inmates wishing to stay there as an alternative to county jail.

"He's committed as a county jail inmate," Lorenz said.

As such, Sutherland will receive no special treatment and will be put on laundry and kitchen work detail. That work, however, won't allow him to earn any early release.

"There is no early release. Here, he'll do the full 48 days," Lorenz said.

Sutherland will most likely have his own cell throughout his time there, since the jail is new and Glendale has few long-term inmates, the sergeant said.

In a statement, 20th Century Fox Television said "with production of '24' postponed until further notice due to the writers' strike, we supported Kiefer's decision to serve his sentence now."

source : http://www.salesandmarketing.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i7631a4fea1c15e09294d6e8b7a621311

(scroll down)

tony.jpg

#19 2008-01-21 23:18:26

J_A
Administrator
Website

according to multiple sources, one of them CNN (below), Kiefer is no jailbird any more - he walked out of jail today noon california time.

LOS ANGELES, California (AP)  -- Kiefer Sutherland has been released from jail after serving 48 days on a drunken driving charge, according to a police official.
Sutherland

Kiefer Sutherland served time for a drunken driving charge.

Two police spokesmen did not return phone calls seeking confirmation of a story on People magazine's Web site saying the 41-year-old actor walked out of jail at 12:05 a.m. Monday, hours earlier than had been expected.

But a police official who spoke on condition of anonymity and wasn't authorized to speak publicly confirmed that Sutherland had been released.

People quoted police Officer John Balian as saying, "(Kiefer) looked like he was glad to be out," and that Sutherland was wearing a shirt and jeans when he left the facility.

Sutherland -- the star of Fox television's drama, "24" -- has spent his sentence cleaning sheets, pillowcases and blankets on laundry duty, Balian told The Associated Press on Friday.

"He was very humble, never complained," Balian said. "He didn't give us any problems at all."

Sutherland pleaded no contest in October to driving with a blood-alcohol level above the legal limit of 0.08 percent. He was sentenced to 30 days, as well as 18 days for violating probation stemming from a 2004 drunken-driving arrest.

After entering his plea last fall, Sutherland issued a statement saying he was "very disappointed in myself for the poor judgment I exhibited recently, and I'm deeply sorry for the disappointment and distress this has caused my family, friends and co-workers."

He was granted a request to serve his time in suburban Glendale's city jail rather than in the overcrowded downtown Los Angeles County jail. The trade-off was that he could not shave any time off his sentence for good behavior or early release because of overcrowding.

The actor must also serve five years probation and complete an 18-month alcohol education program and attend weekly therapy sessions for six months.

source: http://edition.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/TV/01/21/people.kiefersutherland.ap/index.html

now if only the strike would end, and things could go back to normal...

tony.jpg

#20 2008-01-23 17:08:28

24nut
Website

Well thats that done, lets now hope that he wont get into a car anytime soon after he has been drinking. Im sure he would have learnt his lesson, im sure he doesn't want to go to Prison again.

#21 2008-01-23 20:43:38

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah. i'm glad they didn't release him sooner for that exact reason. now he's had a taste and he hopefully didn't  like it. he's on 5 year probation now which is a lot - so he'd better not forget it. my guess is they'd put him in jail for longer the next time...

tony.jpg

Board footer