24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#26 2007-11-11 14:56:21

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Re: 24, writers guild and the strike

it's simply my fear of the m rushing things after potentially having lost lots of time and going for the shock effect again instead of taking the time to think things through (which they had originally planned by giving the writers more time)

Okay, fare enough, so it's just frustration with the situation, rather than actually laying the blame at anyone's feet?

then you're one lucky 24 fan and I am happy for you wink

Oh, just thought of a second, them taking the show from the BBC who treated the show terrifically and who help find the show an audience in the UK (something Kiefer admitted helped tremendously in getting the show a second season) and giving it to Sky.

But apart from that.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#27 2007-11-11 19:47:17

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

it's simply my fear of them rushing things after potentially having lost lots of time and going for the shock effect again instead of taking the time to think things through (which they had originally planned by giving the writers more time)

Okay, fare enough, so it's just frustration with the situation, rather than actually laying the blame at anyone's feet?

yes, in a nutshell. i don't think FOX is to blame for this current situation with the strike, and I understand where the writers' frustration is coming from. i'm afraid of what might happen and thus that's where the frustration is coming from. i don't see where to lay the blame for this. it is what it is.....

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#28 2007-12-17 21:08:05

J_A
Administrator
Website

have there been any news concerning this? MFL said there's only two more shows still being shot and they're bound to stop soon, too. CSI miami and another show I've never heard of...
does anyone believe we'll get 24 next year? or will they stop altogether?

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#29 2007-12-17 21:46:12

hardy24
Administrator
Website

There is no specific news on the show, just that the strike is still going on and talks aren't going that well, infact I don't think talks are even taking place at the moment.

It will be a long time before the season is scrapped completely.

#30 2007-12-18 01:47:38

Steveb

It's very unlikely they'll stop. Far too much money has been invested in the show to drop it completely. However, the strike needs to reach some sort of conclusion before too long otherwise the networks will have no audiences left to watch their programmes.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#31 2007-12-18 14:39:24

J_A
Administrator
Website

Steveb wrote:

It's very unlikely they'll stop. Far too much money has been invested in the show to drop it completely. However, the strike needs to reach some sort of conclusion before too long otherwise the networks will have no audiences left to watch their programmes.

that's what I meant by stopping... if no-one cares, what's the point of producing....... especially since it's all about the money. well, let's  hope for the best!

tony.jpg

#32 2008-01-12 22:27:50

24nut
Website

So the strike has been on for 3 months and still no word on the current status of 24 production, we know that nothing is going on at the moment, but even the strike time so far will push Season 7 back a lot, i sure hope they dont just drop it. Realisticly do you think that would be an option to them?

And the sad thing is, tommorow would have been the Premiere for Season 7, just think all those people that would be so excited to get hold of it. Me included. lol, 24 downtime is hard enough normally, but this is killing me, lol

Last edited by 24nut (2008-01-12 22:32:02)

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#33 2008-01-13 12:04:32

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah I read last night that even if production is resumed soon, since they only have about 8 eps in the can, the earliest we could expect them to air would be fall 2008, if not jan 2009... the one thing I really hate about this is that we know that one big spoiler and now I want to know how things will turn out... if they lay off all the writers and members of the crew since they don't know how long this will last, then we might be in for a looooooooong wait and who knows, with a completely new writers team, without any connection to past 24 seasons, who knows what willl happen. THAT is what is killing ME....

tony.jpg

#34 2008-01-13 13:39:36

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

with a completely new writers team, without any connection to past 24 seasons, who knows what willl happen. THAT is what is killing ME....

I doubt a completely new writing team would be brought in post strike. There may be some small changes in personnel, but certainly not a whole new team.

I really don't know what could happen with the show, I don't know the worst case or best case scenarios really.

A good scenario is possibly the strike ending and the writers come back soon enough that it can start to be aired this year, but late enough that expectations of viewiership etc has dropped and Fox simply says to the production team, you've got a full season run, guaranteed, but we don't think we'll want series 8. So just focus on making this season the best you can.

#35 2008-01-13 16:00:10

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

A good scenario is possibly the strike ending and the writers come back soon enough that it can start to be aired this year, but late enough that expectations of viewiership etc has dropped and Fox simply says to the production team, you've got a full season run, guaranteed, but we don't think we'll want series 8. So just focus on making this season the best you can.

indeed I truly doubt that there will be a season 8. and the longer this strike goes on, the less enthusiasm I think there will be, both on FOX's and viewers' side. I may be wrong, but it might be that most will come to the point of 'so what'.

tony.jpg

#36 2008-01-13 18:08:41

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

indeed I truly doubt that there will be a season 8. and the longer this strike goes on, the less enthusiasm I think there will be, both on FOX's and viewers' side. I may be wrong, but it might be that most will come to the point of 'so what'.

Maybe, although i'm running a poll at the moment trying to gauge how the strike has affected peoples enthusiasm for s7, and so far it doesn't seem to have had that much effect at all.

I have a strong feeling that whenever it returns, it's core audience will give it atleast 2 episodes, if not 4 to prove itself. Those first four episodes not being up to standard could do more damage to the series than the strike ever could.

#37 2008-01-13 18:15:34

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

I have a strong feeling that whenever it returns, it's core audience will give it atleast 2 episodes, if not 4 to prove itself. Those first four episodes not being up to standard could do more damage to the series than the strike ever could.

that is very true, I think. although, thinking back, we did have some of the best moments of the show in the first 4 eps of season 6 and yet, the season as a whole did not live up to the standard.

tony.jpg

#38 2008-01-13 22:54:09

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

that is very true, I think. although, thinking back, we did have some of the best moments of the show in the first 4 eps of season 6 and yet, the season as a whole did not live up to the standard.

Ah, yes, true. But there were the odd good moment, and I know I kept watching because the first four episodes showed that the potential was still there.

#39 2008-01-14 16:08:43

J_A
Administrator
Website

yes, I guess the hope was there that it would pick up again.

tony.jpg

#40 2008-01-16 22:23:04

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Okay, just read this and posted it up on the main page with some of my thoughts, but to summarise.

- Even if the strike ended tomorrow, it's now to late for Fox to air a 24 episode non-stop season
- The earliest they could have a 24 episode run together is the summer, but that would be ratings poison for the show
- Leaving the two apparent possibilities that s7 could simply be delayed until january 09!!! or...
- Or the season could be split into two section of either 12 episode each or 10 and 14 episodes, with the first lot of episodes airing from the beginning of the 08/09 television season in the fall. And the second half beginning in January 09.

I'm intrigued to hear what people think, although i'd recommend reading both the original article and what I've written on the main page, and then starting discussion from there.

#41 2008-01-17 18:32:15

J_A
Administrator
Website

i definitely think that splitting the season could work. i don't think i can take another 12 months torture as to what is going to happen. and frankly, after such a long wait (assuming it starts in jan 09) whether or not I'd still be interested in it is really written in the stars...

tony.jpg

#42 2008-01-17 19:01:59

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I've put up a quick poll on the front page asking which option people prefer, and it would seem splitting the season is more popular of the two.

#43 2008-01-17 21:52:54

J_A
Administrator
Website

voted. will you be able to return the votes that the characters have had at the time you've pulled the character banner poll? I hope you at least wrote them down wink

tony.jpg

#44 2008-01-17 22:11:51

24nut
Website

I think they should split it aswell, as i cant wait till 2009, thats stupid.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#45 2008-01-17 22:30:13

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Just the thought of waiting another 12 months, a whole year before more 24 (a new bond film will be out before then!), and then if we got there and it was terrible, aagh!!, it would kill me to have waited so long, and then be disappointed.

#46 2008-01-18 18:46:02

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

Just the thought of waiting another 12 months, a whole year before more 24 (a new bond film will be out before then!), and then if we got there and it was terrible, aagh!!, it would kill me to have waited so long, and then be disappointed.

I'll simply second that. nothing further to add.

the directors guild seems to have settled their contract, I wonder how long the writers opposition will still last... if they got back to work without getting what they wanted, would the price we pay be bad writing? if they got back to work getting what they wanted, would the budgets for the shows be cut? or could everything really go back to normal... I hope this stops SOON. I can't take the WHAT IFs anymore...

tony.jpg

#47 2008-01-18 20:14:54

hardy24
Administrator
Website

If the director's guild has reached an agreement, that is probably a good thing, as from what I know about it, the first deal struck is usually used as a basis of agreements between the producers and the other guilds.

#48 2008-01-18 20:22:09

Steveb

To sort of digress on to the options facing the schedulers. I think if they air the season in two halves, the cliffhanger for episode 12 has to be bloody good. If it was like the cliffhanger when the split LOST s3 in half then they've wasted a great opportunity.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#49 2008-01-18 20:51:53

J_A
Administrator
Website

Steveb wrote:

the cliffhanger for episode 12 has to be bloody good.

............. I have one particular in mind....... but I wouldn't want to be right about that.............

tony.jpg

#50 2008-01-19 00:44:18

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Steveb wrote:

To sort of digress on to the options facing the schedulers. I think if they air the season in two halves, the cliffhanger for episode 12 has to be bloody good.

I'm not sure I completely agree with that, but I do now what you mean, I just don't think it would have to be a strong traditional cliff hanger, just a strong final episode in general would be fine.

Having said that, 24 hasn't exactly been short of strong mid-season(ish) episode ending moments and episodes in general

Season 2 : The rather reflective expressions as the bomb goes off, Mason dying, Kim looking into the distance believing it was Jack.

Season 3 : A firefight ensuing after the exchange of the virus, Nina escaping, Salazar smiling as he holds onto the virus canister only for it to blow up, killing him, and Amador leaving general chaos behind him as he gets away with the real virus and the money he's just been paid for it.

Season 4 : The EMP going off, Paul and Jack trying to make it out of the McLennan Foster building with the info, and Michelle's return.

Season 5 : President Logan is really the baddie!!

Season 6 : Faking Fayed's escape, Jack clinging to the bottom of a garbage truck, Jack decimating Fayed's men before going going one on one with the man himself and finally dispatching him while delivering the line "say hello to your brother", securing the nukes. Audrey's voice saying "Jack" down the phone to him.

The final episode of the first half would have to be in that league, but if it was, i'd be back for more when January rolled around.

Board footer