24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-13 19:52:32

Past Present Fortune

ign.com - 24 Will Wait for 2009

House and other shows back soon, but Jack Bauer gets the year off.
by IGN Staff

US, February 12, 2008 - With the end of the writers' strike allowing production to resume, FOX will likely extend the regular TV season past May and into the summer in order to air full or close-to-full seasons of their hit shows -- chief among them House -- says Variety. The network could simply continue airing their shows into June, or may hold some episodes until August. FOX has launched some of their fall lineup early in August in the past and executives have repeatedly stated they'd like to have more scripted series on the air throughout the year.

It's not specific yet which shows will be going back into production, but it seems comedies like 'Til Death and Back to You are strong possibilities. Bones is a bit unique among scripted series currently, in that FOX has four unaired episodes they had held on to, and were originally planning on airing in May. According to multiple sources, a decision has yet to be made on whether to produce more episodes this season for the series.

However, Variety says FOX will not be producing any more episodes of their most heavily serialized series this season, including Prison Break, 24 and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Prison Break turned what would have been their mid-season cliffhanger into a season finale, airing next week.

It's been well documented how 24, after several delays last summer, had only completed eight episodes of their seventh season when the strike began. According to Variety, after other options were considered, FOX has finally decided to simply wait until January 2009 to bring the show back for an uninterrupted season, meaning there will be a very notable 19 month break in-between Season 6 and Season 7.

It's unclear how, if at all, this delay affects 24's future beyond Season 7. The show had been renewed through Season 8, but the fact that it will now miss a full TV season raises questions regarding whether FOX is still definitely going to do an 8th season. Especially taking into account the long delay, many will be observing how the ratings for Season 7 hold up, especially after the show suffered a decrease in viewership during the fairly unpopular Season 6.

In the case of Sarah Connor, FOX's already strong mid-season slate (including their ever-dependable American Idol), means they will not be filming more episodes of that show for this season, nor of other upcoming mid-season launches like Canterbury's Law, says Variety. The fate of Sarah Connor and the other new FOX shows beyond this spring will be decided later.

#2 2008-02-13 22:35:54

J_A
Administrator
Website

Re: ign.com - 24 Will Wait for 2009

damn, damn, damn.

well thanks for posting this. i can't say i'm ecstatic at the prospect of getting no more prison break or 24 this year. nothing we can do about it though...

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#3 2008-02-14 13:18:37

Past Present Fortune

jack_addict wrote:

damn, damn, damn.

well thanks for posting this. i can't say i'm ecstatic at the prospect of getting no more prison break or 24 this year. nothing we can do about it though...

Don't you mean, DAMMIT! lol

I feel the same way about it as you, I would have been more happy if they decided to go with the 2 mini season idea that they initially thought up, oh well, waiting another year will only build even more hype for the 7th season in my opinion.

#4 2008-02-14 22:49:52

J_A
Administrator
Website

Past Present Fortune wrote:
jack_addict wrote:

damn, damn, damn.

Don't you mean, DAMMIT! lol

I feel the same way about it as you, I would have been more happy if they decided to go with the 2 mini season idea that they initially thought up, oh well, waiting another year will only build even more hype for the 7th season in my opinion.

i disagree on both counts here. 2 mini seasons wouldn't have been 24 anymore - but what I wouldn't have minded would have been just simply the first 12 eps and then another 12 eps later. as for more hype, I think it might actually be the opposite. the hype from the announced big bang will be all but gone by january 2009 and then they'll have to come up with another big bang and I'm not sure just how many of those the show can take at this time. the ratings have been suffering badly and with a 19month break, I just think many people might say, who cares anymore.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#5 2008-02-15 10:02:50

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

as for more hype, I think it might actually be the opposite. the hype from the announced big bang will be all but gone by january 2009 and then they'll have to come up with another big bang and I'm not sure just how many of those the show can take at this time. the ratings have been suffering badly and with a 19month break, I just think many people might say, who cares anymore.

I'll simply say this, alot of pressure now rests on the opening 4 hours or so. I think there will be enough curiousty to draw an audience for a 4 hour premiere, but after that all loyalty to the show will cease, viewers will only watch after that if it's good, better than series 6.

If series 7 is anything short of brilliant, it will be the shows last, of that I am now sure.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#6 2008-02-15 12:08:56

Past Present Fortune

hardy24 wrote:
jack_addict wrote:

as for more hype, I think it might actually be the opposite. the hype from the announced big bang will be all but gone by january 2009 and then they'll have to come up with another big bang and I'm not sure just how many of those the show can take at this time. the ratings have been suffering badly and with a 19month break, I just think many people might say, who cares anymore.

I'll simply say this, alot of pressure now rests on the opening 4 hours or so. I think there will be enough curiousty to draw an audience for a 4 hour premiere, but after that all loyalty to the show will cease, viewers will only watch after that if it's good, better than series 6.

If series 7 is anything short of brilliant, it will be the shows last, of that I am now sure.

I agree with you but to be honest the loyal fans of the show will wait and watch as long as the show is shown on television, so in my opinion ratings of the show can't drop to a number that is so low that the show would have to be cancelled.

Board footer