24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-09 20:34:49

J_A
Administrator
Website

Life Imitates Art? Again?

Well, I'm sure that many of us remember some of the "life imitates art" moments in connection with 24. the show's been quite a bit prophetic, and strange coincidences have happened. From what I recall, off the top of my head, there was

- the boeing 747 falling out of the sky in S1 and the 9/11 attacks carried out with planes in NYC
- the finsbury park mosque in london in S2 and the raid on the said mosque in the same year
- the commuter train blowing up to get a hold of the nuclear football in S4 and some kind of an accident with a commuter train in L.A.

and the newest moment involves the CIP device which could be used to take over and control sensitive infrastructure of the country, including power grids, in S7 - and this piece of news just popped up:

Cyber Spies Infiltrate US Power Grid
April 09, 2009
Deutsche Presse-Agentur

NEW YORK -- Cyber spies from China, Russia and elsewhere have infiltrated the U.S. electrical grid and other key infrastructures and have the ability to disrupt them during a crisis or war.

Quoting current and former national-security officials, a Wall Street Journal report Wednesday said that the intruders haven't sought to damage the power grid or other key infrastructure yet, but had laid the groundwork to do so in the future.

The cyber-invasion appeared pervasive across the U.S. and doesn't target a particular company or region, the report said. Apart from the country's massive electrical grid, the intrusions target other key infrastructures like water, sewage and financial networks.

The report highlighted the vulnerabilities facing technologically advanced countries that are increasingly networking their most basic service industries. While this offers massive advantages in efficiency and flexibility, it also makes them more vulnerable to catastrophic failure when attackers are able to overcome security measures and gain control of crucial parts of the system.

The report came out just prior to the completion of a far-reaching cyber-security review ordered by President Barack Obama. His administration is weighing whether to expand the pre-existing $17 billion program to protect government networks to also address vulnerabilities in key private computer networks.

Well, when the CIP was first introduced, my thoughts on the topic were, "hopefully it's not as easy in real life to take control over so many vital systems just by taking control of one device." It looks like I might have been wrong.

thanks to MFL for showing me the link.

source: http://www.military.com/news/article/cy … -grid.html

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

Board footer