24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-30 08:21:40

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Manny Coto Reveals Prequel Plot *General Spoilers*

Just posted this on the front page, but it's worth posting here to hear what people think...

After some understandable silence from the official 24 sources, it was just yesterday broken when executive Manny Coto was quoted talking about the upcoming prequel in a press release for the latest round of 24 online promotional tie ins. Those wishing to stay spoiler free should probably stop reading now.

... To further fill “24’s” gap this year, Coto says a two-hour “prequel” TV movie is expected to air this fall, which will bring Kiefer Sutherland’s Jack Bauer to Africa and “lead directly into the events of Season Seven.”

“He’s a soul in turmoil and has been moving from place to place trying to find somewhere he can be at peace,” Coto says. “But he winds up in Africa in the middle of a military coup.”

Meanwhile, Bauer is subpoenaed to appear before the Senate hearing while in Africa, but doesn’t want to go.

“He’s not running away from anything,” Coto says. “It’s because they’ve taken everything from him, but they won’t let them take his freedom.”

Yep, thats right, the prequel has actually brought back an idea that most thought was brave but probably unworkable. Jack in Africa. Being done in the form of a two-hour prequel seems to fit it much better, and gives me hope that actually the prequel will be something other than two episodes bolted on to the front of the main story. No word on if they have or will actually be going to Africa to film any scenes, or if these two hours will drop the real time.

On Season 7 proper Coto says …

“Jack Bauer is under Senate investigation for crimes against humanity,” Coto explains. But while in Washington, FBI agent Renee Walker brings him in to deal with a series of possible terrorist attacks instigated by former CTU agent Tony Almeida, previously presumed dead. “Jack’s thrust into this mystery of how Tony is still alive, and why is he trying to bring down this country?”

.... thoughts?

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#2 2008-04-30 08:41:12

24nut
Website

Re: Manny Coto Reveals Prequel Plot *General Spoilers*

well that fits really well and i can see that happening at the end of season 6. Cool news indeed. It will be shot in Africa as apposed to them making it look like africa.

Ausiello says:

"You're in luck, 'cause one of my CTU moles just dropped a major scoopbit on my lap. Remember when I told you last summer that 24 execs were forced to scrap plans to shoot a chunk of Season 7 on location in Africa due to budgetary concerns on the part of Fox? Well, apparently someone found some extra dough lying around, because I hear producers are currently scouting locations in Africa to film scenes for this fall's two-hour prequel movie"

Source: Ask Ausiello

enjoy wink

Last edited by 24nut (2008-04-30 09:36:42)

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#3 2008-04-30 11:18:32

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Thanks, i'm gonna add that to the front page.

#4 2008-04-30 11:40:54

24nut
Website

no probs, thought it was intresting and clears up a few questions.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#5 2008-04-30 20:33:41

J_A
Administrator
Website

i really don't know what to say. sounds like it's going to be a two hour jack bauer fest.

i read stuff on tonyalmeida-hesnotdead.com last night, (very long website name when you got to type it, but oh well. lol), also about the 24 movie(s), and it looked like this would be a TV movie, and there would still follow a movie theater kind of movie after season 7. I dunno, i thought that after the disaster that s6 had been, even the chances of there being one movie had sunk into the deepest ocean, and now there are supposed to be two?

and of course, carlos is unlikely to be in any of those.

no, you don't have to remind me that, judging by jack's reaction in s7 when seeing tony, he didn't know about tony's being alive prior to that. but that doesn't mean that you couldn't do two separate stories, and explain where tony's been and how the hell he's kept himself alive, and then end the movie so that the two stories come together but don't meet quite yet. e.g. by both of them arriving in LA on the same day. or whatever.

argh, now i said more than i'd intended to.

back to the writing. my own.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#6 2008-04-30 20:46:33

24nut
Website

well, there will be 2 movies, one is a straight to tv, this one, intended to bridge the s6-7 gap. The other is the movie that will go to the cinema which if rumours are true, will be a prequel. I have no idea how this will play out though. But i think its safe to say, as j_a said, that we wont see Tony in the tv movie. As it would somewhat take the suprise out of the Season 7 opener.

They have a golden opertunity here to make amends for season 6, i just hope they dont revist the soap drama storylines.

On a side not, i rewatched Season 4 the other day, i had previously ranked it in my views as the worst season, but i think season 6 now tops that, they really lost there way with that one, especially with the logan scenes, they forget they bought him back or something? The exceptions being the first 4 episodes which were brilliant, the fyad fight scene and the finale.

So far i dont like the look of Season 7. The supporting cast, minus Bill, Chloe and Tony, look really annoying and for me thats one of 24's mistakes, they kill or let go any character that shows some development and kepp the wrong type of character. Enough ranting here, lol.

Thats my 2 cents.

*off to watch some good ol 24 action with Tony and Jack and Mason. big_smile , I love Season 2*

#7 2008-04-30 21:14:03

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah, i think you know what i think ;-). anything beyond s4 simply shouldn't have happened.

as for characters, too many, too 2-dimensional, too stereotypical, too uninteresting. and that shows in the s7 cast pic... why does there always have to be a govt agency? they killed ctu but then brought fbi in. may i laugh?

and as for s7... i'm wavering between not watching it for tony's fate's sake and watching it for tony's being there's sake. anything else, I really couldn't care about less.

a nice idea for the tv movie might have been focusing on the dismantling of CTU. but they're rehashing the idea that had been dead. doesn't that sound like reviving dead characters?.. this season.. has all the potential of becoming even worse than s6. especially if what seems to have been a lesson they learned, that it just doesn't work without tony, turns out to be just an example of, we didn't kill him the *right* way and trying to correct that mistake.

what am i even still doing typing here? ...

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#8 2008-04-30 21:27:46

24nut
Website

lol, i think we could rant and rant until our keyboards break, haha.

#9 2008-04-30 21:31:49

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah exactly... i'm even tired of ranting. it's wait and see, nothing we can do. they'll either be stupid enough or ingenious enough. i am looking forward to seeing tony again, like I said, he was never dead, he just had the day 6 off ;-)
i just don't wanna watch him die again.

tony.jpg

#10 2008-04-30 21:53:34

hardy24
Administrator
Website

I think this could get a little heated, so i'm just going to say what I think then hide.

Firstly, yes s6 was pretty rotten, but at it's worst it simply dead-ended at times, s4 quite frankly stunk to high end at times as often the first half of episodes where seemingly written by Fox promo to ensure that the slower viewers didn't get left behind and to hell if you insult the smarter more loyal audience, and the second half of the episodes where seemingly written by the Fox News Channel as they try to force a right wing agenda down our throats until we choked. Then if we where lucky they might have 5 minutes at the end to "shock us" with the return of a character. Cut the rubbish from S4 and you might have a pretty decent movie.

On who and what are in the S7 prequel double episode it would be great to half a decent amount of Tony, and if it was planned before hand to fit that structure, then maybe we would have, but again the writers strike has thrown everything out. They've got two hours to make fans remember 24 and what to watch, but it has to fit with the beginning of s7, so I think it will be very harsh to criticise the writers for anything in the prequel since they've been backed into a corner. 

And i'm sorry but S5 was miles better than S4. The only thing I would have changed about s5 was Tony seemingly dying at the beginning in unclear circumstances so they could bring him back at a more opportune time and with a better explanation.

While i'm on a roll and annoying everyone I'll just say ....

Seasons, best to worst
1. Day One - never beat the original, the best writing, the best acting, the best directing, minimal network intrusion.
2. Day Two - get the difficult second album almost spot on.
3. Day Five - massively brave, slowed for a couple of middle-ish episode, but the overall arc worked so well
4. Day Three - many times looked like it had dead-ended but always kept going
5. Day Six - started really well and ended really well.
6. Day Four - watch with finger permanently near fastfoward.

#11 2008-04-30 21:55:59

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Yeah, i'm in a bit of a mood.

#12 2008-04-30 22:22:52

24nut
Website

This isn't mean as an argument or anything, just a bit of healthy discussion to lighten the place up and keep us a bit active big_smile I think its good that we have some varying opinions, it just goes to show that we like 24 for different reasons. Here goes: I dont think season 4 was better than season 5, just in my opinion better than 6. For me it would be

1. Season 1
2. Season 2
3. Season 5
4. Season 3
5. Season 4
6. Season 6

Now, i only think season 4 is better because in my opinion i couldn't stand the soap opera storylines and that and that alone killed it for me, as a whole. But there were about 6 very good episodes.

But hey, we all like each season for different reasons.  wink big_smile

Last edited by 24nut (2008-04-30 22:27:57)

#13 2008-04-30 22:32:31

J_A
Administrator
Website

24nut wrote:

i never said that 4 was better than season 5, just in my opinion better than 6.

yeah well, i never implied you did. in MY opinion, tony saved s4 which could have proved a disaster of its own. it was pretty soapy at times, so soapy it was almost gonna make me puke "I'm ready go leave here, I'm ready to go with you." blah. lol. it was very "realistic" in that certain two characters went from being bitter and angry with each other to being what we all knew they have always been - forever in love ;-9. but other than that being perfect Oprah material, the season also stalled for time a lot (how long does it take chloe to get up sat surveillance?... jack robbing a gas station?... EDGAR?!! etc.).

now, if I exclude from the discussion the worst decision in hell about season 5, and we all know what that was, imo, then yeah, i suppose you could say s5 was better. it's just that my beliefs don't really allow me to love the season in which that happened.

i suppose my season order changes with my moods, so there's little point posting it. but probably something like, 3, 2, 1, 4, 5, 6,
or 3, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.
and sometimes i'll even put s1 or 2 on top.. lol. see what i mean? ;-)

tony.jpg

#14 2008-04-30 22:47:02

24nut
Website

i didn't aim that at you or dan j_a, just saying that i dont think season 5 was better than 4. But i can see how it looked, i could have chosen my words more carefully tongue

haha, yeah, the dreaded scene that shall not be mentioned unless it is reffered to as the "worst decision" or "that scene that we wont discuss"

I agree with you though, i dont know what they were thinking of there.

Back on topic, what would you like to see in the Africa scenes, as it will be just Jack i would think.

#15 2008-04-30 22:47:14

hardy24
Administrator
Website

If you merge our rankings of the seasons together you get

1, 2, 3, 5, 4, 6,

Hardly scientific I know, but I reckon we each potentially represent a different block of opinions, but that would suggest we could agree generally on a steady decline and s7 really has to step up and buck the trend otherwise hardly any of the original core audience will continue to watch. (hopefully that will get us back on topic)

p.s., I was in a real foul mood about something earlier, feel free to ignore my slightly earlier post.

#16 2008-04-30 22:53:41

24nut
Website

no probs dan, if you cant vent on your own forum about one of your favourite tv shows then where can you tongue

I agree, it has shown a decline and a i know of a few that have dropped out so far, moz doesn't watch 24 past "that scene that shouldn't be mentioned" tongue and i know of some others. I think they have to bring back the rawness that the early seasons had and centre around fewer characters.

Last edited by 24nut (2008-04-30 22:55:20)

#17 2008-04-30 22:56:19

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:

p.s., I was in a real foul mood about something earlier, feel free to ignore my slightly earlier post.

you know what's funny? i had totally missed your post there. if you hadn't mentioned feeling free to ignore it, i wouldn't have read it. lol.
but yeah, you know where we stand on these things. yes we keep rehashing them, maybe i do more than others, but i'll never get over 5-13. sorry. just a fact of life.
but now i'll ignore your earlier post and get back on topic tongue

hardy24 wrote:

that would suggest we could agree generally on a steady decline and s7 really has to step up and buck the trend otherwise hardly any of the original core audience will continue to watch.

yes, indeed.

hardy24 wrote:

(hopefully that will get us back on topic)

I didn't actually have the feeling we were off topic wink

tony.jpg

#18 2008-04-30 22:59:21

J_A
Administrator
Website

24nut wrote:

no probs dan, if you cant vent on your own forum about one of your favourite tv shows then where can you tongue

I agree, it has shown a decline and a i know of a few that have dropped out so far, moz doesn't watch 24 past "that scene that shouldn't be mentioned" tongue and i know of some others. I think they have to bring back the rawness that the early seasons had and centre around fewer characters.

yeah you don't even have to look far. MFL has dropped out, right around 5-13. does anyone remember NinaMyers from the original i-24 forum? she says, "24 has become a parody of itself" "season 7 is going to suck". and there are 2 or 3 others that I know from the forums and such who have dropped out, and also a couple of people from the real world who have. frankly, i would have dropped out, too, if i didn't feel that as co-admin i should at least still watch it and have something to talk about here wink

tony.jpg

#19 2008-04-30 22:59:54

hardy24
Administrator
Website

24nut wrote:

Back on topic, what would you like to see in the Africa scenes, as it will be just Jack i would think.

I think Jack will need a strong companion for the Africa scenes, someone to bounce off, Jack on his own would be very cold, i'm thinking a Yusuf Auda type or a character from a previous season would could realistically have been in Africa for some (possibly mundane) reason and suggest to Jack that Africa might be the place to un-wind and get some distance, Kate Warner maybe? Mike Novick? Aaron Pierce?

#20 2008-04-30 23:04:29

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

frankly, i would have dropped out, too, if i didn't feel that as co-admin i should at least still watch it and have something to talk about here wink

If s7 doesn't deliver early on and we most of the us don't feel motivated to watch, then 24fans.com and the forums will focus more heavily on remembering past glories.

#21 2008-04-30 23:05:37

J_A
Administrator
Website

24nut wrote:

see, that's where i can actually say, I don't know, and I don't really care. maybe he's on a safari and a lion is about to bite his leg off. but jack pulls his CTU ID and goes, My name is Bauer. Jack Bauer. the lion says, so what? jack replies, i once met your uncle charlie. he was trying to do the same thing. lion goes, I don't have an uncle charlie.
jack grins, that's right. it's cause i've got his skin as a carpet in front of my fireplace at home. and now get lost.
wink

hardy24 wrote:

I think Jack will need a strong companion for the Africa scenes, someone to bounce off, Jack on his own would be very cold, i'm thinking a Yusuf Auda type or a character from a previous season would could realistically have been in Africa for some (possibly mundane) reason and suggest to Jack that Africa might be the place to un-wind and get some distance, Kate Warner maybe? Mike Novick? Aaron Pierce?

strong companion, yes. kate, mike? i dunno. aaron, if you mean aaron in africa, that might be interesting. as they've both been through all those years of 24 and survived them. aaron is a nice character, i'm just not sure how much of a companion he'd be for jack. but i suppose it's feasible. after everything that's happened, they could become friends.

tony.jpg

#22 2008-04-30 23:10:22

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:
jack_addict wrote:

frankly, i would have dropped out, too, if i didn't feel that as co-admin i should at least still watch it and have something to talk about here wink

If s7 doesn't deliver early on and we most of the us don't feel motivated to watch, then 24fans.com and the forums will focus more heavily on remembering past glories.

heh, yeah, i guess there's not really another choice, is there. i'm still curious to a point, seeing as they've had two years to get this done (minus writers strike) and so they might actually get it right. but then again, the prequel had come out before all that turmoil, so they're constrained in a certain way, having to go with that, even though they'd had only 8 eps or howevermany there were.

btw, i kinda missed this simultaneous posting smile. it's nice.

tony.jpg

#23 2008-04-30 23:15:21

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

strong companion, yes. kate, mike? i dunno. aaron, if you mean aaron in africa, that might be interesting. as they've both been through all those years of 24 and survived them. aaron is a nice character, i'm just not sure how much of a companion he'd be for jack. but i suppose it's feasible. after everything that's happened, they could become friends.

I just think it needs someone, that a) Jack can sort of relate to, b) doesn't completely hate, c) have some realistic reason for perhaps inviting Jack out to africa. d) someone probably not on a regular in the seventh season so they don't have to worry about getting the character into the right place storywise for the start of s7. Maybe it's some other ex-CTU employee who did get out alive, Baker?

#24 2008-04-30 23:17:05

24nut
Website

does anyone remember NinaMyers from the original i-24 forum? she says, "24 has become a parody of itself" "season 7 is going to suck".

NinaMyers, i remember, she used to post the transcripts after every episode, wow, that was back in the days.

I also agree with dan, Jack needs someone to have with him. I think chase would be a great choice, but the chances of that happening are nil.  Although for me, the most amazing comeback in 24 history would be Walsh coming back, that would be awesome, Jack finds out that he wasn't dead and he's been in africa, but thats not going to happen. lol

Its not like people haven't come back from the dead before tongue

Last edited by 24nut (2008-04-30 23:19:12)

#25 2008-04-30 23:19:45

J_A
Administrator
Website

well, it could also be someone completely unrelated to CTU and all. just someone whom jack knows, maybe even an old Army buddy of his.

i still think dismantling the CTU (at least explaining why) would be one of the things i'd like to find out more about (other than, the story got boring and we did all we could do with CTU so we decided to turn to other acronyms)

as for ninamyers, i talk to her on msn often. she now calls herself Michal Scofield lol ! I don't think i need to explain why! big_smile

tony.jpg

Board footer