24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-25 18:35:51

J_A
Administrator
Website

european FOOTBALL champs 2008

I understand that since england didn't qualify, you guys in the UK probably haven't really been more than half interested, but still. I kinda figured there should be a thread on this.

so... we got

germany,
turkey,
russia,
spain

in the semifinals.

tonight:
germany : turkey

tomorrow night
russia : spain

any predictions on who's gonna win? or even, any favourites out of these four for the title?

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#2 2008-06-25 19:36:08

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Re: european FOOTBALL champs 2008

jack_addict wrote:

I understand that since england didn't qualify, you guys in the UK probably haven't really been more than half interested, but still.

Actually, the ratings for the games have still be pretty good, of course englands would have had huge ratings, but there still getting 8 - 10 million for the bigger games. And I myself have seen almost every game.

I kinda figured there should be a thread on this.

Yeah there should be, so thanks.

so... we got

germany,
turkey,
russia,
spain

in the semifinals.

tonight:
germany : turkey

tomorrow night
russia : spain

any predictions on who's gonna win? or even, any favourites out of these four for the title?

Just watching the germany turkey game, in which turkey are doing very well against all expectations, but actually I dare not guess anything, since the tournament so far has had so many upsets.

Also, not to be picky or anything, but lets get this straight, it's not Soccer, it's "Football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

How have you been following the tournament J_A?, In the UK every game gets broadcast on free to air TV.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#3 2008-06-27 21:29:55

Steveb

hardy24 wrote:

Also, not to be picky or anything, but lets get this straight, it's not Soccer, it's "Football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Seconded. England may not be in the tournament, but we invented the game so let's use the name we gave it. Nothing like healthy patriotic jingoism for a Friday night.

I want to see Spain beat Germany in the final. Annoyingly I had Portugal and Holland in various sweepstakes- was quite excited until the QF.

Really entertaining tournament all round, if for no other reason than to see which players are going to be more expensive as of monday.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#4 2008-06-28 09:52:15

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Steveb wrote:
hardy24 wrote:

Seconded. England may not be in the tournament, but we invented the game so let's use the name we gave it. Nothing like healthy patriotic jingoism for a Friday night.

Thank you for making sure I don't look like stereotypical angry football fan.

I want to see Spain beat Germany in the final. Annoyingly I had Portugal and Holland in various sweepstakes- was quite excited until the QF.

Oh, i'll be crying bloody murder if Spain don't win, mainly because they play the better football, but also because Germany didn't deserve to beat Turkey and I picked Spain at the start as my team (mainly for the liverpool contigent)

Really entertaining tournament all round, if for no other reason than to see which players are going to be more expensive as of monday.

I think Arshavin will be the only player who moves off the back of the tournament, his price may have just doubled from 10 to 20. And I don't expect Villa to actually move.

#5 2008-06-28 12:10:25

J_A
Administrator
Website

hehehehehe big_smile. sorry, guys, I kinda knew that using soccer might raise some emotions around here. but I think that for that fleeting moment, I thought i'd use a name that wouldn't raise a confusion among our american friends.. but then again, this is the EUROPEAN championships so I guess I should have called it by its real name. football big_smile

sorry I didn't reply earlier, the site didn't paint this thread red when I checked for new replies.

dan, i have been following it on TV, obviously. since parts of the champs are taking place here in switzerland, and some games also took place right here in zurich, close to which I live, it was (and is) relatively inevitable to get caught up in it in one way or another. still, i didn't feel like getting caught up in it for three weeks straight, so I had gone on holiday (note that I'm not using the word vacation wink), during a part of it.

tomorrow, as germany is playing (and uhm.. my passport does say german), I was thinking about heading out to the city to the "fanzone" and watch the game there on a big screen. but we'll see. i'm feeling relatively tired from the week behind me. call me a traitor, but secretly, i still am for spain (but don't tell anyone wink). it'd be cool if spain won simply because it's been so long since they ever won any major tournament. and because, admittedly, they did play very well.

it's been fun, most of the games, and many last minute goals. i'm personally glad that turkey is out, and then of all things, kicked out by their own system of last minute decisions wink

all my teams except germany had progressively dropped out, starting with switzerland (which we knew from the start would drop out in the first round), but then when sweden got kicked out, that was a bit bitter. i really hoped they might make it a bit further. they had potential, but bad luck. then  I wasn't quite decided who to root for, so I just said anything's fine. italy I would have taken cause i have many italian friends. spain, cause of carlos and tony wink big_smile, russia, cause they didn't play bad, and now even my own country has made it to the finals. entertaining, overall, as has been stated. and luckily, mostly calm as far as fans and fan groups go. which I think was a very good achievement on the side of security and police overall.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#6 2008-06-28 12:14:49

J_A
Administrator
Website

hardy24 wrote:
Steveb wrote:
hardy24 wrote:

Thank you for making sure I don't look like stereotypical angry football fan.

edited the title of the thread! tongue lol are your hearts beating normally again? wink

tony.jpg

#7 2008-06-28 12:44:04

hardy24
Administrator
Website

jack_addict wrote:

hehehehehe big_smile. sorry, guys, I kinda knew that using soccer might raise some emotions around here. but I think that for that fleeting moment, I thought i'd use a name that wouldn't raise a confusion among our american friends.. but then again, this is the EUROPEAN championships so I guess I should have called it by its real name. football big_smile

What I don't quite understand is why americans should be confused, since American Football you don't actually use your feet all that much, so why call it FOOT-ball???

dan, i have been following it on TV, obviously. since parts of the champs are taking place here in switzerland, and some games also took place right here in zurich, close to which I live, it was (and is) relatively inevitable to get caught up in it in one way or another. still, i didn't feel like getting caught up in it for three weeks straight, so I had gone on holiday (note that I'm not using the word vacation wink), during a part of it.

tomorrow, as germany is playing (and uhm.. my passport does say german), I was thinking about heading out to the city to the "fanzone" and watch the game there on a big screen. but we'll see. i'm feeling relatively tired from the week behind me. call me a traitor, but secretly, i still am for spain (but don't tell anyone wink). it'd be cool if spain won simply because it's been so long since they ever won any major tournament. and because, admittedly, they did play very well.

Hmm, I doubt you could go to the fanzone and cheer on Spain?, I'd imagine the the atmosphere would be quite something though.

#8 2008-06-28 12:54:07

J_A
Administrator
Website

oh I could cheer on spain, no problem. if I went alone, that is wink. since my german doesn't sound like I'm from germany (i.e. I speak Swiss german). so I wouldn't sound like a traitor. but if I went with a friend (who did say she'd come along), well, that'd be a different story, since she is also german, but only speaks german german...

yeah and the thing you're saying about american football is true. I never did understand why they called it football in the first place.

on the other hand, what's (if there is) the difference btw american football and rugby in the first place?.. (I know. I know. I'm going OT again. but you know me...). besides, nothing against also continuing on topic at the same time.

favorite tournament player so far?

tony.jpg

#9 2008-06-30 14:08:08

J_A
Administrator
Website

well? spain won! I thought a certain UK person would at least post a cheer here wink!

congrats españa! big_smile

tony.jpg

#10 2008-06-30 15:16:32

hardy24
Administrator
Website

VIVA ESPANA!!!!!!

I forgot to be honest, i've had a bit of an emotional rollercoaster of a weekend (long story, not up to sharing right now)

I am very glad Spain won, but actually I felt cheated that Germany had even made it to the final, and I blame the odd fashion the tournament was set up, with it broken up into 2 halfs until the final, where usually after the first knockout round the two halfs would mix so that two teams who had played each other in the group stage could not play each other again until the final. Anyway this left the second half of the tournament much stronger with Spain, Italy, France, Holland & Russia all in one half with only Germany, Portugal, Croatia in the other.

But well done to Spain, and too Torres, hopefully he's in for an even better league season that last year.

#11 2008-06-30 16:59:52

J_A
Administrator
Website

torres's goal was really beautiful. and that guy's legs are faster than a hurricane. lol. he could have scored again in the very same way a little later in the game.
anyway, very entertaining game overall, and though I must admit that germany wasn't actually strong enough to make it to the finals, i think the world is ok because spain has consistently been a strong, if not the strongest team throughout. if italy had made it, i think it probably would have been more of a "cheating", although I do like italians and all, they played like little old grannies. they weren't in shape, as my brother put it.

i didn't go to the fanzone btw, had a lot of stuff to do at home which I only finished ten minutes into the match, so I couldn't be bothered. but in retrospect, who knows, maybe there would have been one or another single spaniard! hmm. well, too late now!

tony.jpg

Board footer