24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-31 17:50:05

hardy24
Administrator
Website

New Premier League Football Season & Liverpool Especcially

Thought a discussion on the new English Premier League, but in particular Liverpool, since I'm a Liverpool fan, and Steve B is as well.

Liverpool have had a good start on paper, 7 points from the first 3 games and keeping pace with the other Big Four. But in reality they've been very lucky, scraping through in the Champions League qualifiers and being very dull in the Premier League, scoring only 3 goals in 3 games. And the level of football generally has been very dull.

The problem seems to be clear to everyone, no width. Which is puzzling since he's got a great left winger in Babel who Rafa steadfastly refused to start for the last 2 games. Benayoun is another good winger but he can't decide which wing Benayoun should be playing on. Which leaves everyone so confused he plays to strikers in Keane and Kuyt wide.

Honestly I think Rafa Benitez is one of the best coaches around, but really he seems to insist on doing everything with one arm tied behind his back. 

Thoughts fellow Liverpool and Football Fans?

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#2 2008-08-31 19:49:17

Steveb

Re: New Premier League Football Season & Liverpool Especcially

By the time extra time arrived on Wednesday I was more than ready for us to lose as I think it would have taught us a valuable lesson. Not that I mind us winning obviously, I just don't necessarily think it was the best thing for the long term.

Today we were average at best, lacking the two players who the rest of the side seem to rely on. I honestly never thought I'd say this but I'm wondering if it's time for Rafa to go and for a new coach to come in who isn't so set in his ways.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#3 2008-08-31 20:29:00

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Steveb wrote:

By the time extra time arrived on Wednesday I was more than ready for us to lose as I think it would have taught us a valuable lesson. Not that I mind us winning obviously, I just don't necessarily think it was the best thing for the long term.

On Wednesday I sat through 100 minutes of utter rubbish, then fell asleep!!, of course I'd come hope with a massive headache and so I was watching the game in bed, but still.

Today we were average at best, lacking the two players who the rest of the side seem to rely on. I honestly never thought I'd say this but I'm wondering if it's time for Rafa to go and for a new coach to come in who isn't so set in his ways.

I really don't want Rafa to go, for so many reasons, I've seen him do the impossible, the squad we have now is better than the one which won the Champions League in 2005, I've seen him suddenly get the team playing at full pelt like he did towards the back end of last season. Which makes our current form all the more frustrating. I know Rafa has more in him. I honestly think the American Owners have simply rubbed him the wrong way and so he's making stupid decisions because he's distracted, frustrated and upset.

It's not just that I don't want to lose Rafa, it's that I really don't trust the Owners and Rick Parry to bring in the right manager to replace him. Which brings up a question, who would you pick as our next manager if Rafa was sacked/resigned? I can't think of anybody.

#4 2008-09-01 00:15:10

Steveb

I don't think there is anyone. If he was going to be replaced they should have done it when people like Scolari, Eriksson, Capello et al were available for talks. As it is there isn't anyone who I think has the calibre to take the club to the position it needs to be. Not to say Rafa can't do that, it's just that for some reason he isn't.

What really needs to happen is we get a chairman like Naill Quinn. He and Roy Keane have the understanding at Sunderland that Keane's job is to deal with the team and any interference and he walks, which Quinn as a sensible chairman respects and abides by.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#5 2008-09-01 19:42:02

hardy24
Administrator
Website

On another note, how hard will you be laughing if Berbatov really does sign for Man City!?, I'm thinking pretty hard, ofcourse Everton will probably go find new investors from Australia or somewhere and sign Gareth Barry the way the deadline day has been going so far.

#6 2008-09-16 19:53:13

hardy24
Administrator
Website

So an update on this situation, we've won against the Mancs, without Gerrard and Torres for most the game, were surely gonna go all the way!!!, we'll win the title, the champions league, the fa cup, the kids will win the league cup, rafa will be given the freedom of the city, and england will win the world cup, oh and manchester united, chelsea and arsenal will all be relegated.

If one of those happens i'll be happy, two i'll be jumping for joy, three i'll be in heaven, four i'll be cursing my self for not betting on it.

Board footer