24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-01 16:10:57

24nut
Website

Season 7 Sneak Peak! - The first 17 minutes!

Has anyone seen this yet, i watched it today on the release of redemption here in the uk. Pretty awesome start, only two main things that really got up my nose though and one of them is something we know, but its so different actually seeing it.

btw Jacks response to the senators questions are brilliant, the trailer only shows a glimpse of how brilliant it is, some really cool stuff there.

Is it ok to start talking about it here with no spoiler tags dan?

Last edited by 24nut (2008-12-01 16:11:53)

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#2 2008-12-01 19:33:18

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Re: Season 7 Sneak Peak! - The first 17 minutes!

24nut wrote:

Is it ok to start talking about it here with no spoiler tags dan?

Yeah it's fine, since this is the spoiler forum and you've marked in the thread name what it's about.

I've not seen it yet since my copy wasn't delivered yet.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#3 2008-12-02 14:45:12

Rexy

Oh wow, I loved the trailer, it was the best thing on the DVD if you ask me, and looked really promising. I loved Jack's attitude in court too! Roll on January! What were the two things that annoyed you?
big_smile

#4 2008-12-02 15:43:21

24nut
Website

one of the main things is seeing Tony being a bad guy, whether he is as bad as he is is not known, but in the usual 24 format the first villain is very loosely connected to the main villain, so i think there is hope there.

The other is that they have traded CTU for an office that looks the same as CTU but not as good and they have hired some real stiffs to play these agents, some of the ways they delivered their lines are quite cringeworthy, but that wont be the focus for long i suppose.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#5 2008-12-02 16:12:41

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah, 24nut, that's right, the first villain is loosely connected to the main villain, and before the main villain takes over, the first villain usually dies... so if tony is REALLY a villain, he will be the first villain....

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#6 2008-12-02 18:38:50

Rexy

Oh, OK, yeah, the FBI people were a bit stiff, but I thought the woman who took Jack seemed pretty good. I'm hoping that Tony will not really be bad, and Jack will soon find this out and work with Tony, cheesy as it sounds wink.

Tony can't be bad, I bet those cheeky writers are just pulling our leg as usual.

#7 2008-12-02 22:17:15

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah, hope so too. he can't be. especially cause all the promo stuff around him being evil was sooooooooooooooooooooooo important to them, they've milked that to the max, i think. so it's either he's good, or he's gonna go for good. we'll see.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#8 2008-12-03 21:31:49

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Okay just seen this, going to put aside the one or two negative points I have, because that was really self assured, not getting overexcited with itself, cool calm and collected. Looked great visually, gone is the over designed thunderbirds CTU office and in is a realistic FBI office.

For those who are interested who haven't seen this, it plays out almost how you'd imagine the first episode ever who if the show was just beginning. It doesn't ignore the shows history it simply treats the history as character back points it has to slowly layer in. The same way the first episode of season one revealed that Jack had recently busted colleagues on bribery charges.

It is effectively a new situation, a world which the audience are being introduced to through Jack's eyes.

I know some of what i've said will not bring confidence for some, but please watch it with an open mind, given where the show was at the end of season 6 I don't think the first 15 minutes could have been any better (I don't think i've seen a better opening 15 minutes to a season since the first).

If they are able to maintain this, they may just pull of the impossible (or atleast what I thought very improbable) given the circumstances.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#9 2008-12-03 23:23:50

Rexy

Yay, I am so glad someone else who was feeling a bit unoptimistic about season 7 likes the preview as much as I do. I totally agree, I was very wary about season 7, and I think the producers really have to do a great season but this looks promising, although I'm sure as the season goes on there will be some "groan" moments, you can't please all of the people all of the time after all!

I like the way it seems almost like Jack has a new attitude, I mean they let him go off and get tortured in China for months on end and he didn't moan, and now they're whingeing about his conduct saving millions of American lives. Too right he should stand up and defend himself. Ooh, I can't wait. big_smile

#10 2008-12-15 15:24:13

J_A
Administrator
Website

I watched the first 17 minutes... I think I have to digest them and rewatch them before being able to comment

tony.jpg

#11 2008-12-23 00:21:45

24nut
Website

jack_addict wrote:

I watched the first 17 minutes... I think I have to digest them and rewatch them before being able to comment

had time to digest it j_a, i know some of the scenes concering a certain character must have been hard for you to watch?

Last edited by 24nut (2008-12-23 00:21:59)

#12 2008-12-25 13:06:04

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah, tom, rewatched it a couple of times. almeida willing, I'll be writing an official response for the site in the next few days. wink

tony.jpg

#13 2009-01-01 15:43:21

24nut
Website

i watched the first 17 minutes again, i wanted to absorb it as much as possible in preparation for Jan 12th, only 11 more days to go now, hard to believe that its been so long since 24 was on tv, its a great feeling to know that we've got a good few months ahead.

Again after watching the episode, i have to agree with you dan, they started it afresh but still not denying the shows past, which is the right move. One thing that got me thinking was because of the downtime 24 suffered due to production set backs and the strikes, hopefully the mid season slump will be less pronounced and the story should flow better.

#14 2009-01-01 22:01:59

J_A
Administrator
Website

dan has posted my thoughts on the 17 minutes on the main site.

http://24fans.com/2009/01/season-seven-24s-road-to-redemption/

I'm curious to see comments and what you guys think of my thoughts.

tony.jpg

#15 2009-01-08 10:21:07

Steveb

I've finally managed to watch this, (sadly my free time is not as it once was) and thought I'd post my feeling.

I watched this straight after Redemption, as I'm sure most of you did and my first thought for both pieces was that they seem to have shaken the uncertainty of season six. There's a confidence here that hasn't been present since season five. This is a 24 that doesn't feel as though it would shy away from risk, this is 24 that would reveal Nina was "the mole", would give Mason redemption, would assassinate Palmer, Michelle, Chappelle and so many others. This is a show that feels reborn.

Instantly, my biggest fear hhas been abated. One of season six's biggest failings was that it didn't have the confidence to build upon the award-winning success of the previous year. Perhaps the arguments surrounding the presentation of torture, or the repeated (and ill-conceived) complaints about the presentation and treatment of Muslims within the show dented the producers ambitions. It may have just been that the show has run out of steam and needed an injection of life, whatever the reason last year the show failed. This year, from 12 initial minutes of footage, I don't believe they will.

The new characters (and returning ones) are well-rounded, nothing seems superfluous, and whether intentionally or not, Jack leaving the court hearing to save the world once again, appears to be a definite "up yours" to the anti-violence campaign. Yes, the show seems to be saying, you have a point, torture? Bad innit! But you know what we've got an action series to make, so if you could come back later when the rest of us have stopped having fun? That'd be grand!

So, in conclusion, it's definitely a promising start and has brought back the pre-season excitement that used to accompany 24 without hesitation. Roll on Sunday.

"The water is unpalatable, to improve the taste we added Whiskey. By diligent effort I learned to like it." Winston Churchill

#16 2009-01-08 15:47:27

J_A
Administrator
Website

well done stevie. smile. hope you're right! it does look very promising, as I've said in my review of it, and my only fear is that they won't manage to keep up that energy. that being said, they DID have a lots more time on their hands now to get things JUST RIGHT, so if this isn't the time to get it right, then I don't know when is wink. roll on sunday!

tony.jpg

#17 2009-06-05 21:44:33

J_A
Administrator
Website

lizzie01 wrote:

I've seen it too! The trailer is brilliantly made and I am craving for more 24 new episodes! One thing I have to say though, Tony will never be included in the "bad guys" section. smile

you obviously haven't seen the season yet so I won't comment. I'll just say, prepare to NOT see things as black and white this season. the borders between good and evil are shaky at best this time around...

tony.jpg

Board footer