24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-25 18:40:34

skycloud86

I Don't Live Today (Mason songfic. Spoilers for Season Two)

Will I live tomorrow?

Well I just can't say.

Will I live tomorrow?

Well, I just can't say.

Tears were falling down his tired face as he flew alone over the darkened desert. Jack had just parachuted his way back to safety - Forgive yourself, Jack! - and George was now on his way with the nuke, saving millions from certain death. This is the thing that killed me.

But I know for sure

I Don't Live Today.

He hummed a song to himself, one by Hendrix, in order to keep himself calm in the last few minutes of his life. He knew what he had to do, and if he was being honest with himself, he was scared shitless, but he was going to die anyway. So no point just changing your mind, got to keep going now, George.

No sun coming through my windows,

feel like I'm sitting at the bottom of a grave.

No sun coming through my windows,

feel like I'm sitting at the bottom of a grave.

He thought of the words he had spoken to Michelle earlier that day, and smiled. He admired the young agent, and hoped that his words would inspire her in some way, especially after the events of that day. He thought of Paula, who had lost her life so heroically so that they would be able to stop the nuke. He thought of Jack, who had been through hell that day, from the moment he had walked back into CTU after months away.

I wish you'd hurry up 'n' rescue me

so I can be on my mis'rable way

As he began his descent, he gritted his teeth and focussed on his task. He knew that there was no margin for error, and that millions counted on him, and his sacrifice, to stop the nuke once and for all.

I Don't Live Today;

It's such a shame to waste you time away like this.

Assured that the plane was diving at the correct position, George closed his eyes and thought not of impending oblivion, but of happier times and missed places. He thought of the people he would never see again, and tears began to fall silently, slowly, down his cheeks.

Will I live tomorrow?

Well, I just can't say.

Will I live tomorrow?

Well, I just can't say

But I know for sure

I Don't Live Today.

As the nuke exploded, a giant mushroom cloud grew over Ground Zero. Some of the people who witnessed it had just lost someone, or admired the selfless sacrifice of George Mason. A thankfully quick and painless death, Jack thought as he watched the cloud. Don't worry, George, your words meant something to me.

Board footer