24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-03 00:35:22

J_A
Administrator
Website

interview bits

kasia over at almeidaisgod.com has posted this article, which references back to TV guide and other sources. but here's the important stuff:

Kiefer Sutherland on Season 6:

“This is a recharge for the show,” Sutherland says. He’s sitting under a white canopy between scenes, toying with pieces on a chessboard. 24 still shoots mainly in L.A., but production spent weeks filming inside the Beltway. “I was disappointed with Season 6 and we didn’t want to see Jack become a cliche of himself, so we shuffled the deck, jumped into new territory. Now we get to see what happens.”

I have to wonder though … has Sutherland always felt this way about Season 6 and is only now just admitting it, or are his comments a response to widely vocal fan and media criticism of Season 6 in its wake?

Kiefer Sutherland on Jack’s character arc:

Sutherland [...] is clearly feeling philosophical about a character he’s played for so long. “I still believe in Jack Bauer and I hope America still does,” he says over lunch. “I know it’s only a TV show, but Jack does live within me. I’m endlessly inspired by the character and by his determination to say we can’t stop until we solve whatever problem is at hand.”

Kiefer Sutherland & Howard Gordon on Tony’s Resurrection:

[...] before Carlos Bernard could come back to play rogue Tony Almeida, producers had to convince Sutherland that Tony’s story line—which we won’t spoil here—made sense. “Carlos is one of my favorite people on earth,” Sutherland says, “but I said, ‘How the hell is this going to work?’” As Gordon explains, “We wrote the first draft of a character who was from Jack’s past and had gone off the reservation. Frankly, it was just flat and didn’t feel compelling enough. Once we plugged in ‘Tony Almeida,’ we realized all the elements were there—including a plausible explanation for his return—and we couldn’t resist.”

Now, this is interesting. the first time we get any details on the creative process that led to tony's return. btw, Carlos keeps mentioning the silent clock thing as if it really really was deliberate. I am still wondering if it wasn't a mistake that left an opening for them, but be it as it may - tony did just have the day off in s6 wink.
I am glad they scratched the idea of yet another new character sharing some past with jack. but if tony's return came from the thought of - we need another evil character from jack's past whom jack has to deal with so we can make the season more personal and then give jack the dilemma of killing that character - well, you finish the thought yourself... you know me well enough!

Carlos Bernard on Tony’s Resurrection:

“If nothing else,” Bernard says, “this will stop people from coming up to me on the street and saying, ‘Hey, I know you’re not dead. When are you coming back?’”

Carlos Bernard on Tony’s character arc:

We needed a good story. Bringing Tony back could easily have come off gimmicky, so we had to explain ourselves and also add some depth to the character. He’s darker, sadder, disappointed in himself.

Question on the brotherhood:

TVG: Do he and Jack get to party together?
CB: They definitely have some trust issues, at least from Jack’s side. At first, Jack can’t figure out why this guy who ‘died’ in his arms is back. But they get into it and Jack discovers the truth. I don’t want to give away too much.

he's 'disappointed in himself' .. hm.. why? many possible reasons. one of them, that he's not in the operation with his heart? or that he ended on the wrong side of the law? or that he got pulled into this by whoever is behind this but now is having second thoughts? ...

like kasia, I also wonder how come Kiefer has had a change of hearts. he used to be behind season 6. I wonder if this is pure promo for s7.

as for Carlos, his comments make me think he really isn't "rogue". I have hope again. yes, I am still afraid of getting OVERexcited but as I read that, I did feel excitement. man... I need this to be a great season. I do!

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#2 2009-01-03 12:28:19

24nut
Website

Re: interview bits

ok that confirms it for me, what with the pictures from months ago of Jack and Tony working together, and now this, he says Jack discovers the truth and that there are some trust issues at first. To me there were never any doubts. Thanks for the read j_a.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#3 2009-01-03 15:34:54

J_A
Administrator
Website

there are more pics floating around, but let's  not forget that they could be working together voluntarily or because they're forced to by the circumstances. so the pics alone do not confirm it. however, all those other little things do seem to point to the brotherhood returning to screen - as it should. and it has to survive the season. it must.

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#4 2009-01-03 17:27:17

24nut
Website

well from the newer proms we see that Jack and Tony are going to have a big fight on the boat, we see Jack leap into the air and really knock Tony down. This season is looking interesting to say the least.

I think in season 5 and 6 some of the best episodes were the 4 hour premieres but i actually think that this year even thought they will be good, the next episodes will be even better. The preparation must have helped. I cant wait.

When Jack and Tony team up its something special, it really is, when it happened in Season 3 and 4 it was brilliant, season 5 should have seen Tony helping Jack out, it was a big storyline taking down the president, one of 24's biggest yet and having Tony help him it would have been immense.

9 days to go for 24 now!

Last edited by 24nut (2009-01-03 17:29:07)

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#5 2009-01-03 20:32:05

J_A
Administrator
Website

it's not a boat, is it? looks more like the docks to me. and that's the first time jack sees tony in person, I'd say. I love the way tony looks back at jack - like, "Who do you think you're kidding, Jack. You're not gonna shoot me." totally the reversal of the s2 situation at CTU. and then we finally have the fistfight we didnt' have back then big_smile. I love it that Tony gets to use his krav maga (I recognize a few moves), though of course, jack will have to win again...

it is special, hence hopes that they will not screw it up. I'm getting excited although I'm trying not to overreact. aargh.

By Almeida, please don't let this be a disappointment.

tony.jpg

Board footer